With pasta, chicken and a creamy tomato sauce, this Instant Pot creamy chicken spaghetti is a quick and easy meal. Minimal ingredients and prep time has this one-pot meal on the table in about 30 minutes.
I admit I was skeptical when I was told that you could cook pasta and chicken in the instant pot, at the same time, and both would come out perfectly cooked.
But now that I’ve done it, I’m convinced.
While instant pot cooking is not my favourite way to cook, mainly because I love to labour over the food, stirring and tasting as I go, it does have its purpose.
And this easy, quick, instant pot chicken spaghetti is one of them.
Why this recipe works
- This entire meal is made with only 4 ingredients.
- Everything is cooked in one pot for easy clean-up.
- It is ready in 30 minutes.
- It is a perfect weeknight meal.
There are only 4 ingredients in this easy chicken spaghetti recipe:
- Spaghetti noodles – You will need 1 pound of dry noodles. You could also use linguine or even penne, bow-tie or rotini if you prefer short pasta.
- Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders.
- Marinara sauce – Your favourite brand will work, or you can use 22 oz of homemade tomato sauce.
- Cream cheese – This gives the sauce its creamy texture. Block cream cheese or spreadable work equally well.
Optional ingredients: fresh chopped basil or parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Pro Tip – This recipe requires thawed chicken breast. Frozen chicken will not work well in this recipe as it will take longer to cook causing the pasta to become too soft.
How long does it take to cook spaghetti in the instant pot?
When cooking in an instant pot you need to account for the time to come to pressure, the cook time, and the time to release the pressure.
The cook time for this spaghetti is only 8 minutes, however it will take about 12 minutes to come to pressure before the timer starts.
Once the timer is complete, you need to let it release pressure which will take a few minutes. Therefor the total time you need to allot for cooking is about 25 minutes.
How to make instant pot chicken spaghetti
One – Pour 3 cups of water into the pot. Break the spaghetti noodles in half and place them in the pot in a messy pile.
Two – Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the noodles.
Three – Add the pasta sauce.
Four – Close the lid, set valve to seal and select high pressure for 8 minutes. When timer is complete, turn valve to release pressure then open the lid and remove the chicken to a bowl.
Five – Add the cream cheese to the pot and close the lid.
Six – Shred the chicken into small pieces.
Seven – Open the pot, and stir to combine the cream cheese with the noodles and sauce.
Eight – Add the shredded chicken to the pasta and stir to combine.
Serve immediately, or leave in the pot on “keep warm” until ready to serve.
Pro Tip – If you don’t have spaghetti noodles on hand, you can replace with linguine. You can even use pasta noodles such as penne, rigatoni, and bow-tie. The cook time and liquid will remain the same.
What to serve with chicken spaghetti
Because I’m generally making this meal when we just need something quick, I often serve it on its own.
However, if you wanted a side to go with this pasta dish then garlic knots or a simple garlic bread are great choices.
If you wanted something lighter to serve with this rich pasta then something like a simple green salad, Caesar salad or arugula salad make great options.
Top Tips & FAQS
For one pound of pasta you need at least a 6 qt instant pot. This spaghetti would work in either a 6 or 8 qt pot.
You MUST use the water. Tomato sauce is too thick to create the evaporation and steam that is required to pressurize the pot. Without the water, your ingredients will simply burn.
Of course you can. Just be sure to use the same quantity, 22 ounces, or 650 ml
More Instant Pot Recipes
Love cooking pasta in the instant pot? Here are 21 more instant pot pasta recipes for you to try! 21 Best instant pot pasta recipes.
Tried this recipe? Please leave me a comment or rating to let me know!
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Pound Spaghetti noodles
- 1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Jar (22 oz) Marinara sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- Pour the water into the pot
- Break the spaghetti noodles in half and place them in the pot. Be sure to place them in a random pile (like a haystack) and not tightly packed or they will stick together.
- Cut the chicken breast in half crosswise (to make each chicken breast look like 2 thinner breasts), season with salt and pepper and place them on top of the noodles.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of the chicken and noodles.
- Place the lid on the pot, turn the valve to seal, and set the pressure to high for 8 minutes.
- Once the timer is complete, turn the valve to release pressure.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken.
- Place the cream cheese in the pot and close the lid.
- With two forks, shred the chicken.
- Open the lid and stir the cream cheese into the noodles.
- Dump the chicken into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve with fresh parmesan cheese, or chopped herbs
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.