Instant pot creamy chicken spaghetti is a quick and easy meal. With minimal ingredients and prep time this one pot meal is on the table in about 30 minutes, and the kids will love it!
I admit I was skeptical when I was told that you could cook pasta and chicken in the instant pot, at the same time, and both would come out perfectly cooked.
But now that I’ve done it, I’m convinced.
While instant pot cooking is not my favourite way to cook, mainly because I love to labour over the food, stirring and tasting as I go, it does have its purpose.
And this easy, quick, instant pot chicken spaghetti is one of them.
This entire meal is made up of only 4 ingredients (a few more if you count salt, pepper or garnish). Everything is cooked in one pot for easy clean up, and the whole meal is ready in about 30 minutes, making it the perfect meal for busy weeknights. And it’s a meal the whole family will love!
How long does it take to cook spaghetti in the instant pot?
When cooking in an instant pot you need to account for the time to come to pressure, the cook time, and the time to release the pressure.
The cook time for this spaghetti is only 8 minutes, however it will take about 12 minutes to come to pressure before the timer starts.
Once the timer is complete, you need to let it release pressure naturally for 5 minutes before you turn the vent to release the remaining pressure. Therefor the total time you need to allot for cooking is about 25 minutes.
How to make instant pot creamy chicken spaghetti
- Pour 3 cups of water into the pot
- Break the spaghetti noodles in half and place them in the pot in a messy pile (this helps keep them from sticking together)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the noodles.
- Add the pasta sauce
- Close the lid, set valve to seal, and select high pressure for 8 minutes
- When the timer is complete, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken
- Add the cream cheese and close the lid.
- Shred the chicken, then open the pot and stir the cream cheese into the noodles.
- Add the chicken and mix it in
Serve immediately, or leave in the pot on “keep warm” until ready to serve.
Things to know & helpful tips
- Can I leave the chicken out of this spaghetti to make it vegetarian? Yes. If you don’t want the chicken, simply leave it out.
- What type of sauce is best for this spaghetti? You can use any tomato sauce you like. I like using a simple Marinara or tomato basil sauce, but if you have a store bought sauce that you love, you can use it. I like to choose brands that have minimal ingredients and sodium, but use whatever you like.
- Can I use homemade tomato sauce? Of course you can. Just be sure to use the same quantity, 22 ounces, or 650 ml
- What size instant pot do I need to make this dish? This was done in a 6qt instant pot. It would work in either a 6 or 8 qt.
- Do I need to add the water to the instant pot, or can I use extra sauce? You MUST use the water. Tomato sauce is too thick to create the evaporation and steam that is required to pressurize the pot. Without the water, your ingredients will simply burn.
Love cooking pasta in the instant pot? Here are 21 more instant pot pasta recipes for you to try! 21 Best instant pot pasta recipes.
Other recipes you might like
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Pound Spaghetti noodles
- 1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Jar (22 oz) Marinara sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- Pour the water into the pot
- Break the spaghetti noodles in half and place them in the pot. Be sure to place them in a random pile (like a haystack) and not tightly packed or they will stick together.
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise (to make each chicken breast look like 2 thinner breasts), season with salt and pepper and place them on top of the noodles.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of the chicken and noodles.
- Place the lid on the pot, turn the valve to seal, and set the pressure to high for 8 minutes.
- Once the timer is complete, allow the pot to naturally release for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken.
- Place the cream cheese in the pot and close the lid.
- With two forks, shred the chicken.
- Open the lid and stir the cream cheese into the noodles.
- Dump the chicken into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve with fresh parmesan cheese, or chopped herbs
Tried this recipe? Please leave me a comment or rating to let me know!
Pin this recipe for later!