Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup
With a creamy texture and warm flavours of curry and ginger, this vegetarian butternut squash soup is the perfect comfort food.
- 3.5 Pounds Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil divided
- 2 Cups Diced onion 1 medium onion
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 tsp Curry powder depending how spicy you like it
- 5 Cups Vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 Can Coconut milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin seeds optional for garnish
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Peel, seed and cut the squash into 1 inch cubes. Place it in a large bowl along with the garlic cloves then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat. Place it on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes, or until soft.
While the squash is roasting, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy pot or dutch oven then add the onion and cook on medium heat until the onion is soft. Add the ginger and curry and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Remove the squash from the oven and add to the pot along with the garlic.
Add the vegetable broth and then, very carefully, puree the squash with an immersion blender until smooth.
Add the coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Continue heating and stirring until heated through.
Serve garnished with a drizzle of coconut milk or some pumpkin seeds.
- When using an immersion blender with hot liquids, make sure the blender is fully submerged before turning it on to avoid splashing.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can use a standard blender. Work in small batches filling the blender no more than half way. Start on low speed and gradually increase the speed. Use a folded kitchen towel to hold the lid in place and prevent it from popping off.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 888mg | Potassium: 1187mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 28565IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 4mg