Italian Meatball Soup with Orzo
With pre-made meatballs, orzo pasta and a savoury fire roasted tomato broth, this Italian meatball soup is full of flavour.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Cup diced yellow onion 1 medium onion
- 1 Cup diced carrots 2 medium carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Pound fresh or frozen meatballs about 1 inch diameter
- 1 2-inch square parmesan rind or ¼ cup shredded parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 Cup orzo pasta dry
- ¼ Cup chopped italian parsley plus more for garnish
- ¼ Cup chopped basil plus more for garnish
Add the olive oil, onions, carrots and garlic to a large pot and heat over medium heat until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5-7 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, bay leaves, meatballs and parmesan rind. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
Once the liquid is boiling add the pasta and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes, until pasta is el dente.
Remove the bay leaves and parmesan rind, add the chopped herbs and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately topped with additional chopped herbs and shredded parmesan.
Calories: 551kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 1385mg | Potassium: 861mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5346IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 3mg