These apple pie cinnamon rolls take the traditional cinnamon roll to a whole new level. These gigantic rolls are filled with apple pie filling and cinnamon and are topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. And they are ready in under 2 hours!
Cinnamon rolls are such a decadent, delicious treat. From the soft dough to the warm, spicy filling, and finally the sweet, drippy cream cheese frosting.
I love everything about cinnamon rolls.
Now, while regular cinnamon rolls are just fine as they are, I decided to play around a bit with another dessert I love. Apple pie!
Instead of the traditional brown sugar and cinnamon filling, these rolls are filled with apple pie filling. And let me just say, the apple pie filling creates a roll that is extra gooey and extra delicious.
Then I changed things a bit more by adding some cinnamon to the cream cheese frosting.
After all that, I cut them into extra-large rolls, because if you are going to indulge, you may as well do it right.
How to make apple pie cinnamon rolls
- Add all ingredients to a stand mixer
- Mix on low until it pulls away from the sides and forms a ball
- Turn out to a counter, knead 5-6 times until smooth and return to bowl. Rest for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to approximately 18×12 inches.
- Spread the apple pie filling over the dough leaving about 2 inches at the top, and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Roll up then fold the last two inches up and over the roll, pinch seam to close.
- Cut into 6 rolls with a sharp knife and place in a 9×13 pan sprayed with nonstick spray
HOT TIP: Chopping the apples into smaller pieces will help these roll better. I simply dump them into a bowl and run a butter knife through them a few times.
- Cover the pan with a towel and allow to rise for about 30 minutes
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until golden
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes and frost as desired
Make sure to serve these warm!
Yes, you definitely can. To do this, add 1 tablespoon of yeast to a small bowl with 1/4 cup of the hot water and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Let this sit for about 5 minutes until foamy, then proceed with mixing the remaining ingredients as directed. Rise time will approximately double for each rise.
You sure can. Start with 3 cups of flour and only add more as needed to form a soft workable dough. Whole wheat flour will result in a slightly denser roll.
Yes, you can. However, you will want to freeze them without the frosting. Simply store the cooled rolls in an airtight container. Before serving allow to thaw and then frost. If you want to warm them up first place them in a baking dish, cover with foil, and warm in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.
More Delicious Baked Goods to Try
More Apple Desserts to Try
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
For the Dough
- 1 1/4 Cups Hot water not boiling
- 1 Tbsp Rapid rise yeast
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter melted
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 19 oz can Apple pie filling
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 Cup Butter softened
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese softened
- 1/4 Cup Heavy cream or milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/4 Cups Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Place all ingredients for the dough in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on low until dough pulls away from the bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto counter and knead 5-6 times until smooth, then return to a lightly greased bowl and let rest for 30 minutes
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to approximatly 18×12 inches
- Spread the apple pie filling over the dough, leaving the top 2 inches bare. Then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll from the long end until you get to the last 2 inches, then fold the dough up and over the roll. Pinch seams together.
- Cut into 6 rolls and place in a greased 9×13 pan.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rest for 30 mintues.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool 10 minutes and then frost as desired.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Beat in the heavy cream and vanilla, then add the powdered sugar and cinnamon and mix until smooth and creamy
Tried this recipe? Please leave me a comment or rating to let me know!
Pin this recipe for later!