A crisp, refreshing cocktail of pomegranate and lime juice, vodka and orange liqueur. The pomegranate martini, or pomtini, is a pretty, deep red cocktail. Garnished with a sugared rim and lime wedge it is perfect for the holidays.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
What is a Pomtini?
A pomtini is a fruity cocktail made with pomegranate juice, vodka and orange liqueur. It is crisp and refreshing and a blend of tart and sweet.
While not a true martini, it gets its name from the martini glass it is generally served in.
The pomegranate martini is a beautiful drink for the holidays because of its deep red colour. When garnished with a sugared rim and a lime wedge, it is as pretty as it is delicious.
Why we Love This Recipe
There are so many things to love about a pomegranate martini. But a few of the things we love are:
Simple ingredients – The pomegranate martini is made with simple ingredients, just some juice, fresh fruit, vodka and orange liqueur.
Easy to make – This cocktail is easy to make. Just pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with some ice, shake and serve.
It’s refreshing – The crisp pomegranate juice mixed with lime is a super refreshing cocktail with just the right balance of sweet and tart.
The ingredients required to make the perfect pomtini are:
- Pomegranate juice – Be sure you are selecting pure pomegranate juice, not pomegranate cocktail. Pure pomegranate juice is more expensive, but it is totally worth it for the flavour it brings to this drink.
- Fresh lime juice – You will be using 1/2 ounce of lime juice, which is equivilent to about 1/2 of one fresh lime. While you could use bottled if you are in a pinch, nothing beats fresh.
- Simple syrup – Simple syrup is a syrup made from equal parts water and granulated sugar. You don’t need a lot for this recipe, but it does help mellow the tartness and blend the flavours.
- Vodka – The bulk of alcohol in this martini is from vodka. You don’t have to choose top shelf, but choose one that you enjoy drinking. Generally speaking, if you don’t like it on its own, you are not going to like it in a martini either.
- Orange liqueur – We’ve used triple sec in this recipe, but Cointreau will work just as well. So use what you have.
You will also want a few things to garnish your glass. We’ve used granulated sugar to garnish the rim and added a lime wedge and some pomegranate arils.
What I love about martinis is how simple they are to make.
Simply fill a cocktail shaker about 1/3 full of ice, add the pomegranate juice, lime juice, simple syrup, vodka and triple sec and shake. Shake for 10-20 seconds, or until the shaker is well chilled and pour into martini glasses.
If you like, you can garnish the glass with a sugar rim before adding the mixed drink. Just rub a lime wedge around the edge of the glass and dip the glass in a shallow dish of sugar.
After pouring the martinis, add a lime wedge and spoonful of pomegranate arils.
Variations and Substitutions
There are a few ways you can add variety to this pomegranate cocktail.
- Instead of using just plain vodka, you can use 1.5 ounces plain vodka and 1.5 ounces of lemon vodka.
- If you want your drink to be really tart, you can skip the simple syrup.
- For a sparkling cocktail, pour the mixed drink into a tall glass and top with sparkling water or club soda.
Add equal parts granulated sugar and water to a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved then remove from the heat and allow to fully cool before moving to a jar and storing in the fridge. Common measurements are 1 cup sugar to 1 cup water, but you can make as little or as much as you need.
If you are serving this drink to a crowd and would like to make it ahead, you can mix the ingredients in a pitcher and keep it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, add ice to a cocktail shaker and add the desired amount of mixed drink. Shake and serve.
More Holiday Beverages
Pomegranate Maritini (Pomtini)
- 3 oz pomegranate juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz lime juice fresh squeezed
- 3 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz triple sec or cointreau
- 5-6 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar to garnish the rim
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- lime wedges
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup water
- Fill a cocktail shaker 1/3 full of ice cubes.
- Add the pomegranate juice, simple syrup, lime juice, vodka and triple sec.
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake for 10-20 seconds until the shaker is well chilled.
- Pour into 2 martini glasses garnished with a sugared rim. Add a lime wedge and spoonful of pomegranate arils.
Simple Syrup (make ahead)
- Add granulated sugar and water to a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved then remove from the heat and allow to fully cool before moving to a jar and storing in the fridge.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.