These air fried breaded shrimp are quick and easy. Lightly seasoned with a crispy coating, these shrimp are so good you won’t believe they aren’t deep fried.
I love shrimp no matter how it’s cooked, but this recipe for air fried breaded shrimp is one of my favourites.
These shrimp are ready in minutes and are perfectly crispy and golden brown without the added fat that comes with cooking them in a deep fryer.
They are so good that I can easily eat the whole batch myself and I wouldn’t even feel guilty doing so.
My favourite way to serve them is with a dish of tzatziki sauce for dipping. I know that cocktail sauce is more traditional, but I prefer the fresh, tangy flavours the tzatziki provides.
Tartar sauce and sweet chilli sauce are also great dipping options. But if you prefer to eat these shrimp just as they are, they are great that way too.
Why this recipe works
The combination of panko and fine breadcrumbs give these shrimp a delicious crispy coating. While the air fryer provides a quick cook time, resulting in plump, juicy shrimp.
The ingredients you will need to make these breaded shrimp are:
- Shrimp – I like using medium sized shrimp with the tail off, but you can use small or large shrimp if you like.
- Flour – Just regular all-purpose flour
- Corn starch – If you don’t have cornstarch you can just use flour
- Garlic powder, Onion powder, Salt – I like keeping the seasoning simple for this recipe, but you can use any seasonings you like
- Eggs – The eggs make the breading stick to the shrimp, if you are allergic to eggs you can replace with melted butter
- Panko breadcrumbs – These provide a great crunch, you could also use crushed cornflakes.
- Fine breadcrumbs – The addition of the fine breadcrumbs help make sure the shrimp is completely coated.
For a different flavour, try seasoning these shrimp with cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, or seasoning salt instead of garlic and onion powder.
These crispy breaded shrimp come together in just a few simple steps.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and then lay on paper towel to blot dry
- In a small bowl, mix the flour cornstarch and seasonings
- Place the shrimp in a small bowl, sprinkle the flour mixture over the shrimp and toss to coat
- In a shallow bowl, which the eggs with 2 tablespoons of water. In a separate bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs and fine breadcrumbs
- Shake the excess flour off the shrimp, then dip each shrimp in the egg mixture making sure it is fully coated, then toss in the breadcrumbs. Place the coated shrimp on a plate
- Continue until all shrimp are coated then add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to your airfare basket and add the shrimp
- Place in the air fryer to cook until crisp
If you are gluten free you can bread these shrimp with gluten free flour and breadcrumbs, or crushed gluten free cereal.
It only takes 7 minutes in the air fryer to cook these shrimp to a crispy golden brown.
Can I use small shrimp instead?
Yes, you can. If you would like these to be more like a popcorn shrimp, then using small shrimp works well. Reduce the cook time to 5 minutes to start with and then check for doneness. You don’t want to overcook shrimp.
Can these be made ahead of time?
If you would like to make these ahead of time that’s no problem. Simply cover and refrigerate after breading and then add them to the air fryer when you are ready to serve.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Pin this recipe for later!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a comment or rating to let me know!
Air Fried Breaded Shrimp
- 1 Pound Shrimp
- 4 tsp Flour all purpose
- 1 tsp Corn starch
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2/3 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2/3 Cup Fine breadcrumbs
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and blot dry on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder and salt
- Place the shrimp in a bowl, add the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs and fine breadcrumbs together in a shallow bowl. You may want to start with 1/2 the amount as depending on the size of your shrimp you may not need it all.
- Working in small batches, shake the excess flour from the shrimp then dip them into the egg mixture.
- Move the egg coated shrimp to the breadcrumbs and toss to coat. Move the coated shrimp to a plate. Continue the process until all shrimp are coated.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the air fryer basket, then place the shrimp in the basket.
- Set the fryer to 370 degrees for 7 minutes, shaking half way through.
- Serve immediatly with dipping sauce of choice.