A delicious blend of creamy mayonnaise and garlicky basil pesto, this easy pesto mayo is the perfect spread for sandwiches or as an aioli dip for your favourite appetizers. It comes together quickly with just four ingredients and can be made with homemade or store-bought pesto.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
One of my favourite ways to add variety to my sandwiches is by using flavoured mayonnaise.
Pesto mayo, or aioli, as it is often called has great flavour. The basil and garlic in the pesto are the perfect compliment to chicken, turkey, or vegetarian sandwiches.
This mayo also works well as a dip or sauce with appetizers and snacks. We love it with chicken appetizers, but it is also great with veggies, or a dip for french fries. It also tastes great with pasta chips.
This flavourful sauce is easy to make and requires only 4 ingredients and about 5 minutes of prep. We’ve kept things simple using store-bought mayo and pesto, but if you are feeling ambitious you are free to make your own.
You only need 4 ingredients to make this creamy pesto mayonnaise.
- Mayonnaise – You can use any plain mayonnaise that you like. I just use my favourite store-bought mayo. You can use regular full-fat, light or no-fat mayonnaise, or your favourite vegan mayo if you want a vegan sauce. If you have a homemade mayo you like, you can use that too.
- Pesto – I use store-bought pesto from a jar, but you can make your own if you like. If you are allergic to nuts you can enjoy this recipe by making your own homemade nut-free pesto.
- Lemon juice – You only need a bit, but it will help blend the flavours. I prefer using fresh lemon juice, but as there is such a small amount used in this recipe you can use bottled if that is all you have.
- Garlic powder – Just a small amount to help boost the garlic flavour. You can use a small clove of fresh crushed garlic if you prefer.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Making this pesto mayo is extremely easy. All you need to do is mix the ingredients well in a small bowl.
This pesto will have its best flavour if it is allowed to rest for at least an hour before serving, but it can also be served immediately and it still tastes great.
Ways to Use Pesto Mayo
There are so many ways to use pesto mayo. It can be used just like regular mayonnaise to give your dish an extra boost of flavour.
It makes a delicious spread on chicken sandwiches. We like to serve this mayonnaise along with lemon grilled chicken on crusty, toasted hoagie rolls with some fresh veggies and provolone cheese.
It can also be used as an aioli dip with your favourite appetizers such as air fryer chicken bites, roasted potatoes, sweet potato fries, or even something as simple as air-fried tater tots. It is also the perfect dip for air-fried asparagus spears if you want a healthier, or low-carb alternative to french fries.
Store pesto mayo in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If using store-bought ingredients, it will last about 2 weeks, or until the earliest expiry date of the products you used, whichever comes first.
If using homemade ingredients it should keep about 5 days, but this will vary depending on the ingredients you use.
It is normal for a bit of separation to occur, you can just stir it up before you use it.
Of course, use your judgment. If you notice anything abnormal, or strange odours, toss it.
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts and most store-bought pesto will contain them. However, if you are allergic to nuts you can make your own nut-free pesto with simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep.
You can easily make this recipe vegan by using your favourite store-bought vegan mayonnaise or by making your own.
More Dip and Sauce Recipes
Easy Pesto Mayo
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup basil pesto homemade or store-bought
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Can be served immediately, but allowing it to rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving will help the flavours blend.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.