You know that delicious butter that often comes with your pancakes or waffles at your favourite waffle house? Yes, the one that is sweet and spicy and keeps you wanting more? Well, this cinnamon sweet butter is just what you are looking for.
I remember on one of the trips we took to California to visit family when I was a kid. Every morning along the way we would stop at Denny’s for breakfast. I always chose pancakes and they served them with this giant scoop of melty, sweet, sinfully delicious butter. I still remember that butter. I don’t think I have been to a Denny’s in 20 years, so I couldn’t tell you if they still serve it, but this cinnamon sweet butter brings me back to those days.
You take butter (real butter is important here), and you mix it with honey, brown sugar and cinnamon until you get this beautiful, aromatic perfection.
This butter elevates your regular pancakes or waffles into something special, and if you are someone who loves toast with butter and cinnamon sugar, you have to try this! We love it on pumpkin pancakes and you can find that recipe here.
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON SWEET BUTTER
Begin with butter, REAL butter.
Whip the butter in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
You should end up with butter that is fluffy and a beautiful golden brown.
Now you need to form the butter. You can certainly skip this step, but I love being about to place a pat of butter on my pancakes.
Place a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on the counter. Scoop the butter onto the wrap and roll up and twist the ends.
Place the formed butter into the fridge for about 20-30 min to firm up. (Now would be a great time to make some pancakes!)
If you are in a hurry you can use the butter right away, it will just be softer and melt faster, but maybe that’s not such a bad thing.
Once the butter has firmed up to your liking it is time to serve and enjoy!
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- For this recipe I use dark brown sugar. It has a richer taste and colour. If you use light brown sugar you may want to increase by half.
- Try changing things up. Instead of cinnamon, try nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice.
- Want to make this butter fancier? Press the whipped butter into silicone chocolate moulds for fancy shapes. Just make sure it is fully chilled before trying to pop them out.
Cinnamon Sweet Butter
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- Whip butter until smooth and fluffy
- Add the honey, brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- Cut a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper (about 10×10 inches) and lay it in front of you.
- Scoop the butter and place on the wrap/paper.
- Roll up and twist the ends, forming a log.
- Place in fridge to firm up. (about 30 min)
- Serve and enjoy with your favourite pancakes, waffles or toast.