Roasted garlic compound butter is flavourful and delicious. It is the perfect to use for garlic bread, mashed potatoes, or to add extra flavour to grilled steak or sautéed mushrooms. Place it on the dinner table to spread on some fresh, crusty bread or to add to a side of veggies. It is quick and easy to make and will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
What is Compound Butter?
You know that delicious, flavourful butter that comes along side the bread basket at fancy restaurants?
That is compound butter.
Compound butter is really just butter that has add-ins such as garlic and herbs. It can be savoury, such as this roasted garlic compound butter, or it can be sweet, such as sweet cinnamon butter.
You can add almost anything you like depending on the flavours you are looking for and what you want to serve it with.
You can use it as an ingredient while cooking or place it on the dinner table to be used on bread or vegetables. It is also delicious on proteins such as grilled steak and chicken.
The ingredients you will need to make roasted garlic butter are:
- Salted butter
- Roasted garlic cloves
- Dried parsley
There are only a few steps required to make this delicious garlic spread.
Begin by cutting the butter into cubes and place them in the bowl of a food processor.
Then add the peeled, roasted garlic cloves and dried parsley to the bowl.
Pulse the mixture until blended and smooth.
You can use as much or as little garlic as you like depending on the size of the cloves and your flavour preference.
Once the butter is mixed, place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter.
Scoop the butter onto the plastic wrap and form into the shape of a log. Roll the plastic wrap around the butter log and twist the ends tightly.
Place the butter in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes for the shape to set. Then unwrap the butter and slice into pats.
Alternatively, you can simple scoop the mixed butter into a small jar if you don’t want or need slices.
How to Roast Garlic
If you don’t already have some roasted garlic in the refrigerator, you will need to make some. Fortunately, roasted garlic is easy to make, requires only 2 ingredients and can be roasted in the oven or air fryer.
Begin by slicing the top off of the garlic bulb to expose the cloves, then drizzle olive oil over the bulb making sure to get between the cloves and down the sides. You will need approximately 1 tablespoon of oil per garlic bulb.
Next, wrap the garlic bulb tightly with aluminum foil. You can do 1 bulb or several in the same piece of foil depending how much you want to make.
To make the roasted garlic in the oven:
Place the wrapped garlic in a 400°F oven and cook for 40-60 minutes or until the largest garlic clove is soft when poked with a toothpick.
To make roasted garlic in the air fryer:
Place the wrapped garlic in the air fryer basket and set the air fryer to 390°F. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the larges clove is soft when poked with a toothpick.
How long it takes to roast the garlic will depend on the size of the bulbs, how fresh the garlic is, and the variety of garlic.
How to Use Garlic Compound Butter
There are so many ways to use this delicious, flavourful butter.
- Use it to make garlic bread.
- Add it to roasted vegetables.
- Add a pat of garlic butter on top of your steak.
- Use it to make sautéed mushrooms.
- Add it to your mashed potatoes.
- Use it in place of plain butter in your favourite savoury dishes.
- Serve it on the table for guests to use on fresh bread, potatoes or veggies.
Garlic compound butter will keep for approximately 2 weeks when stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 3 months in the freezer.
Garlic butter should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap in either the refrigerator or freezer.
More Spreads and Dips
Roasted Garlic Compound Butter
- ½ Cup salted butter
- 6-7 cloves roasted garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Cut the butter into cubes, then add the butter, peeled roasted garlic cloves and dried parsley to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse the food processor until the mixture is blended. Then place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter.
- Scoop the butter onto the plastic wrap and form into the shape of a log. Wrap the plastic wrap around the butter and twist the ends to tighten, then place the wrapped butter in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the butter, slice and serve.
How to Roast Garlic
- If you do not have roasted garlic cloves on hand you will need to make these first.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb just to expose the cloves, then drizzle approximately 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the garlic making sure to get between the cloves and down the sides.
- Wrap the garlic tightly in aluminum foil, then place in a 400°F oven for 40-60 minutes until the largest clove of garlic is soft and a toothpick goes in easily. If you'd prefer to use the air fryer, place the wrapped garlic in an air fryer basket, set the air fryer to 390°F and cook for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick goes in easily. You can do as many bulbs of garlic as you like.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.