Avalanche cookies are a simple no-bake cookie with peanut butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies. The added butterscotch chips give them a delicious caramel flavour. These tasty 5-ingredient treats are easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
I’ve always liked no-bake cookies. They are easy to make and there are so many varieties.
On of my favourites is the avalanche cookies my mom always makes at Christmas time. They are a simple peanut butter and marshmallow cookie held together with white chocolate. The added Rice Krispies give them a nice crunch without adding anymore sweetness.
I decided to change them up a bit by substituting half of the white chocolate with butterscotch chips and using rainbow marshmallows instead of plain.
The result is a crispy, yet soft cookie with a hint of caramel and peanut butter.
They are delicious!
Why this recipe works
These peanut butter marshmallow cookies contain only five simple ingredients.
Because they are no-bake cookies they come together quickly and are easy for the kids to help with.
These cookies set-up fast so you can have them made and the kitchen cleaned up within an hour. They store extremely well in the freezer so you can always have some treats on hand for when you need them.
These avalanche cookies come together with just five simple ingredients.
- Peanut Butter – You can use crunchy or smooth. I do find this recipe works best if you don’t use all-natural peanut butter as the oils in the natural peanut butter will make the cookies softer. But you can use it if you wish.
- Mini-marshmallows – I like using the rainbow marshmallow, but you can use the plain ones if you like.
- White chocolate melting wafers – if you don’t have these, white chocolate chips work just fine.
- Butterscotch chips – gives the cookies a slight caramel flavour. You can substitute with peanut butter chips or additional white chocolate chips if you don’t like or don’t have butterscotch chips.
- Rice Krispies – I happened to have a box of the holiday Rice Krispies on hand, so that’s what I used.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step by Step Instructions
One – Place the peanut butter, white chocolate and butterscotch chips in a medium size bowl.
Two – Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and heat until the peanut butter and chocolate is melted and smooth.
You can use a microwave to melt the peanut butter and chocolate if you like. Use 15 second intervals and stir between each interval until melted and smooth.
Three – Add the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
Four – Add the marshmallows.
Five – Stir until all ingredients are combined and marshmallows are well coated in the peanut butter mixture.
Six – Drop by tablespoon size scoops onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Let the cookies set, then move to an airtight container for storage.
Top Tips & FAQS
Absolutely! These Rice Krispie cookies store extremely well in the freezer. Simply move them to an airtight container or ziplock bag once they’ve fully set. They will keep well for several months.
If these cookies won’t set it usually has to do with the peanut butter used. While I generally love, and choose, all-natural peanut butter I find that it isn’t the best in this recipe. If it has too much oil it will interfere with the setting process. This is a recipe where using the processed peanut butter will work better.
More No-Bake Sweet Treat Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a comment or rating to let me know!
Avalanche No-Bake Cookies
- ½ Cup peanut butter crunchy or smooth
- 1 Cup butterscotch chips
- 1 Cup white chocolate melting wafers or white chocolate chips
- 2 Cups Rice krispies
- 2 Cups min marshmallows rainbow or plain
- Place peanut butter, butterscotch chips and white chocoalte in a medium size bowl. Melt over a pot of simmering water, or in the microwave, until melted and smooth. If using the microwave use 15 second intervals and stir between each interval until melted.
- Add the rice krispies and mix well.
- Stir in the marshmallows.
- Drop by tablespoon on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet. (or any size cookies you wish)
- Place in freezer or fridge until set, then move to an airtight container for storage.If you don't have room in the fridge or freezer these will set at room temperature, they will just take longer.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.