These easy flaky buttermilk biscuits are the perfect side dish for your dinner table. Buttery and flaky, these biscuits are terrific served with soup, stew or chilli, or are perfect for breakfast with some butter and jam.
Buttermilk biscuits are an easy side dish that can be made quickly with simple ingredients. There is nothing better than pulling those warm, flaky layers apart and slathering them in butter.
Buttermilk biscuits pair especially well with soups like this creamy potato and ham soup or this roasted cauliflower cheese soup. They are also great with chilli and stew.
Of course, you could also serve them in a bread basket with any meal, or serve them for breakfast with some homemade rhubarb jam.
HOT TIP: If you don’t have any buttermilk, you can make your own substitue with milk and lemon juice. Simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup, then fill with milk to total 1 cup.
How to make easy flaky buttermilk biscuits
- Place the dry ingredient in a large bowl along with the cold butter
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles course crumbs
- Add the buttermilk and stir gently until the dough comes together
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and sprinkle the top with flour
- Roll into a large rectangle, then fold into thirds
- Roll into a large rectangle again then repeat the folding process
- Roll out one last time into approximately a 11 inch square
- Using a 3 inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut into rounds
- Place on parchment lined backing sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown
- Remove to cooling rack and serve
HOT TIP: Don’t over-work the dough. You don’t want to knead biscuit dough like you do when making bread. Handling the dough just enough to bring it together and rolling it gently will help produce super tender, flaky biscuits.
Things to know & helpful tips
- Why aren’t my biscuits flaky? This is usually caused by either over working the dough, or using butter that is too warm. It is important that your butter is very cold and that you only handle the dough as little as possible.
- Can I use whole wheat flour to make biscuits? Yes, you sure can. You may need to add a bit of extra liquid as whole wheat flour tends to absorb more liquid.
- How long will biscuits keep? I find that these biscuits are best the day they are made. They will keep another day or two if stored in an airtight container, but they do dry out quickly.
Other recipes you might like
Flakey cheddar chive biscuits
Bakery style cranberry lemon scones
Soft homemade garlic knots
Easy Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3 Cups Flour All purpose
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Cold Butter Cubed
- 1 ½ Cups + 2 Tbsp Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non stick spray
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Using a pastry blender, or 2 knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles course crumbs.
- Pour the buttermilk into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. It will feel a bit sticky and wet.
- Place a large piece of parchement paper on the counter and sprinkle with flour. If you don't have parchment, you can simply flour the counter.
- Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Sprinkle the top with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll the dough out into about an 11 in square.
- Fold the dough into thirds and roll out again. Repeat the folding and rolling process one more time. Rolling out to approximately a 11 inch square
- Using a 3 inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut into rounds, pressing straight down.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet with the edges just touching.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack and serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a comment or rating to let me know!
Pin this recipe for later!
Thursday 21st of April 2022
Great Delicious Flakey Biscuits honest tah Heavens I have ever made !!! 🥰🥰Thank you for sharing !! Easy to follow recipe and loved all your tips !! ..so made a difference !!!
Friday 22nd of April 2022
Thank you so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.