Creamy feta cheese and sweet cherry tomatoes baked then tossed with pasta, fresh garlic and basil. This quick and easy dinner with minimal preparation will be a winner any night of the week.
Tomato feta pasta is a recipe that is taking the internet by storm. Originally seen on Tik Tok, this pasta dish is so quick and easy and so full of flavour it is easy to see why it has become so popular.
The first thing this recipe reminded me of when I took my first bite was grown-up Mac and cheese.
It is cheesy and creamy from the feta with a bit of tang from the tomatoes and fresh flavours of garlic and basil.
The meal is ready in about 30 minutes with almost no prep work required and that is always a bonus in my books.
Why this recipe works
Simple ingredients – this recipe requires just a handful of simple, everyday ingredients.
Quick – From start to finish this recipe is ready in just over 30 minutes and most of that is simply waiting for the cheese and tomatoes to bake.
Easy – There is not much to this recipe other than placing some ingredients in a dish, letting it bake and stirring it up. You don’t even need to chop anything if you don’t want to!
For a full list of ingredients see the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Cherry tomatoes – You can use cherry or grape tomatoes for this recipe, they work equally well.
Feta Cheese – I recommend using a block, rather than pre crumbled cheese, for this recipe. You can use cow or goat milk feta, whichever you prefer.
Basil – Make sure it is fresh and do not add it to the pot until the very end.
Pasta – Because you are cooking the pasta separately and then adding it to the remaining ingredients you can use whatever you like. I used Cavatappi (twisted macaroni). The shape holds up well and the little twists are perfect for grabbing onto the sauce.
Pro Tip – If you can’t find cherry or grape tomatoes you can use and equal amount of seeded and diced Roma tomatoes.
One – Add the cherry tomatoes and olive oil to a 3qt or 9×13 casserole dish. Toss the cherry tomatoes in the oil, then add the feta cheese to the centre of the dish and flip over a couple times to make sure it is coated in oil. Sprinkle the chili flakes over top.
Two – Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until tomatoes have popped and are beginning to char just a bit.
Boil the water and when the tomatoes have about 10 minutes left to cook you can cook the noodles according to package directions.
Three – Remove the dish from the oven and use a wooden spoon to break up the cheese. Add the minced garlic and stir it together with the tomatoes and cheese.
Four – Add the cooked noodles and stir everything together. Add a bit of pasta water if you want to make it creamier. Add the chopped basil, stir and serve.
You will want to cook 8-12 oz of dry pasta for this recipe. The less pasta you use the creamier the dish will be. I used about 10 oz of pasta which was perfect for 4 servings.
Add some freshly grated parmesan cheese and additional chopped basil as garnish.
We have always just eaten this pasta on its own. When I’m making it I’m looking for something quick and don’t want to bother cooking or preparing anything else to go with it.
However, this tomato feta pasta could just as easily be a side dish as it is a main dish.
If you want it as your main meal, but are looking for something to serve along side of it, some homemade garlic knots, a fresh Brussel sprout salad or a delicious shrimp salad recipe make great choices.
Yes you could. I would dice 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and add them to the casserole dish to cook along with the tomatoes.
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a couple of days. We found that this tasted great cold, just like a pasta salad, but it could also be reheated in the microwave.
You sure can, there is no problem using gluten free pasta.
More Quick Pasta Meals
- 1 Pound cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 7 oz feta cheese
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 2-3 Cloves garlic minced
- 8-12 oz dry pasta cooked
- 1/2 Cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 Cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place the cherry tomatoes in a 3qt or 9×13 casserole dish and add the olive oil. Toss to coat and then add the feta cheese to the middle of the pan turning a couple of times to coat in oil. Sprinkle the chili flakes on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have popped and have just started to char.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, boil the water. When the tomatoes have about 10 mintues left, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Remove the pan from the oven and, with a wooden spoon, break apart the feta cheese then add the garlic and stir together with the tomatoes.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir adding a bit of the pasta water if you want it creamier.
- Add in the chopped basil and toss with the pasta.
- Serve topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and additional chopped basil.