This easy blueberry dump cake will quickly become a favourite. Warm blueberry filling and vanilla cake mix combine to make this comforting, and familiar cobbler dessert. Top with some vanilla ice cream and watch it disappear.
This cake is not only easy to make, but it is absolutely delicious. What I love about this cake is that it is really more of a dump cobbler than a true cake. And cobblers have always been one of my favourite desserts.
The great thing about this dessert is that it is made in the pan you bake it in. That’s right, no mixing bowls to clean up!
Simply add all the ingredients to the pan and toss it in the oven. Anytime I can bake without having to do piles of dishes is a bonus in my books. I mean I do love to bake complex desserts, but I hate all the dishes that go along with that.
I really enjoy baking this in my large cast iron skillet, but if you don’t have one a 9×13 baking dish will work just fine. However, I do suggest investing in a good piece of cast iron simply because they are so versatile.
If you can’t find french vanilla cake mix, you can use a yellow cake mix, or even chocolate if you like the combination of blueberry and chocolate.
I’ve added lemon juice to the blueberry filling because I find it helps bring out the flavour and also balance the sweetness, but you can easily leave it out if you don’t have any. And if you are allergic to nuts, simply leave them out.
How to make blueberry dump cake
- Lightly butter a 12 inch cast iron skillet or 9×13 pan
- Add the blueberry pie filling, stir in the lemon juice, then top with the blueberries
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top
- Gently swirl the cake mix into the filling, then top with cubed butter
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top, and then the almonds
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until slightly golden
When cake has finished cooking remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes and then serve!
HOT TIP: If you don’t have any fresh or frozen blueberries, you can leave them out, or feel free to mix things up and use blackberries, raspberries, or for some extra tangy you could use cranberries. They will all go well with the blueberry pie filling.
Do I need to refrigerate dump cake?
Yes, because of the fruit, it is recommended to refrigerate dump cake.
Can I reheat this cake?
Yes you can. Cover the cake with aluminum foil and heat at 350 for approximately 15 minutes to reheat.
Is dump cake gluten free?
You can easily make this cake gluten free by simply replacing the French vanilla cake mix with a gluten free alternative.
HOT TIP: This recipe will work well with any type of pie filling. If you don’t like blueberry, try using cherry, rhubarb or strawberry instead.
Other recipes you might like
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 2 Cans Blueberry pie filling
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Box French vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 Cup Butter cubed
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly butter a 12 inch cast iron skillet or a 9×13 baking dish
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside
- Pour both cans of blueberry pie filling into the pan
- Add the lemon juice and give a quick stir to combine
- Add the blueberries to the top of the filling
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the blueberries and filling
- With a spoon, gently swirl the cake mix and blueberries together, just to barely mix. There should still be mostly dry cake mix on top.
- Dot the top of the cake with the cubed butter
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mix over the entire cake, then top with the almonds
- Place in the oven and bake for approximatly 50 minutes, or until top is slightly golden
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then serve
Tried this recipe? Please leave a comment or rating to let me know!
Pin this recipe for later!