Bugels and Chex are tossed in peanut butter and chocolate then coated in sweet powdered sugar. Mixed with pretzels, corn chips, Reese and M&Ms this snack mix is the perfect combination of salty and sweet.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! This event is being sponsored by Dixie Crystals. As always, all opinions and thoughts are 100% my own
I think almost everyone loves snack mix. A good mix has something for everyone and it’s fun to poke through the blend to find your favourite bits.
Some snack mixes are savoury while others are sweet. And some are the perfect blend of the two.
This muddy buddy snack mix is a salty sweet combination and full of crunch.
Muddy buddies, or puppy chow as it’s sometimes called, is cereal that has been coated in a chocolate mixture and then tossed in powdered sugar. The most common cereal used is Rice Chex, but you can use other varieties as well.
For this Halloween mix I chose to use Bugels as well. Bugels are a salty corn snack and the flavour and crunch hold up well to the peanut butter and chocolate coating.
The rest of the party mix is a blend of pretzels, corn chips, Reese’s Pieces and M&Ms. I used peanut M&Ms, but you can use any variety you like.
Because this is a Halloween themed mix you could even add candy corn or any other bite size candy you like.
Why this recipe works
Snack mix is easy to make, uses simple ingredients and keeps for a few weeks in an airtight container.
There are endless varieties from savoury to sweet and you can use almost any ingredients you like.
I generally choose my ingredients based on what I can get on sale. And if you don’t want Halloween snack mix it is super easy to swap out the colours or type of candy and make it a Christmas snack mix. You can even colour theme it for your favourite sports team on game day!
Prefer a savoury snack mix? Try this Ranch party mix!
Here’s the best part about snack mix. You can use whatever salty snacks you want and combine them with any type of chocolate candy and you will have something amazing.
For this recipe I made 2 variations of muddy buddies using Rice Chex and Bugles.
The main components you need for this mix are:
- Rice Chex – this is the traditional cereal used with muddy buddies or puppy chow and holds up well to the chocolate coating
- Bugels – I used these because they reminded me of witches hats and the salty corn snack matches perfectly with the sweet chocolate and peanut butter
- Chocolate – I’ve used both semi-sweet and white chocolate in this recipe. You can use whatever you like
- Peanut Butter – Creamy works best, and this is one of the few times I don’t recommend using all natural. It has a higher oil content and doesn’t work as well
- Powdered sugar – powdered sugar is an important ingredient at is needed to coat the muddy buddies. If you can find it in your area, Dixie Crystals powdered sugar is a great option.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted both work fine, you can use margarine as well
The rest of the ingredients I used are listed below in the recipe.
Have fun and don’t be afraid to switch it up. I really don’t think you can go wrong with snack mix.
Other great additions are dried fruit or nuts.
Step by Step Instructions
Making snack mix is pretty straight forward. You are really just taking a few different ingredients, tossing them together, and that’s it.
However, for this snack mix we need to make the muddy buddies before they can be added to the rest of the mix.
Here’s how to make muddy buddies.
One – Melt the peanut butter, chocolate and butter in a small sauce pan. Place the Chex cereal in a large bowl, pour the melted chocolate mixture over top and stir well with a wooden spoon until the cereal is well coated.
Two – Pour the chocolate coated cereal into a large ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar. Then you will seal the bag (make sure it is sealed well) and shake, shake, shake until the cereal is completely coated in the powdered sugar.
Kids love to help with this part.
Three – Spread the sugar coated cereal on a parchment lined baking sheet and let it dry for about 20 minutes before adding to the rest of the snack mix.
If you don’t have parchment paper you can use wax paper, tin foil or a silicone baking mat.
You will repeat this process for the muddy buddy Bugels.
Because I wanted the Bugels to resemble witches hats I added a few drops of purple food colouring and some colourful sprinkles to the powdered sugar, but this is optional.
After the muddy buddies have had a chance to dry, add them and the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Using large ziplock bags also works well.
The best way to store muddy buddy snack mix is in a large ziplock bag or airtight container at room temperature.
You should be able to store this snack mix for several weeks as long as it is kept airtight.
I don’t recommend freezing this mix or storing it in the refrigerator. This will actually cause the mix to lose its crush and go stale faster than if stored at room temperature.
Related RecipesTake a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today: Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Cake Mix Monster Cookies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Bar Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Oreo Mummy Cookies from Savory Experiments
- Easy Halloween Cake Mix Sprinkle Cookies from Family Around the Table
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from House of Nash Eats
- Eye Love Chocolate Sugar Cookies from An Affair From the Heart
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars form Back To My Southern Roots
- Bloody Broken Glass Red Velvet Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Halloween Bats Oreo Cupcakes from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Frosting from The Flour Handprint
- The Scream Brownies from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Monster Chocolate Cake Brownies from JZ Eats
- Halloween Marshmallow Brownies from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Mini S’mores Pudding Pies from For the Love of Food
- Jack Skellington Boo-berry Pie from Savory Moments
- Halloween Smoothie Bowl from Fresh Coast Eats
- Halloween Pancakes from I Am A Honeybee
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts from Pastry Chef Online
- Bloody Hot Cocoa from It’s Shanaka
- Pennywise Ice Cream Float from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Wicked Witch Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Muddy Buddy Halloween Snack Mix from Tastes of Homemade
- Candy Corn Rice Crispy Treats from The Spiffy Cookie
- Kid-Friendly Halloween Snack Board from Love and Confections
- Rice Krispie Treat Haunted Houses from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Ghostly Snack Mix from Fake Ginger
- Spooky Pretzel Rods from Take Two Tapas
- Halloween Candy Bark from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Batty For Chocolate Dessert Cheese Ball from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Dip from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Muddy Buddy Halloween Snack Mix
Muddy Buddy Chex
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ½ Cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Cups Rice Chex
- 1 ¾ Cups Powdered sugar
Muddy Buddy Bugels
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter
- ½ Cup White chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Cups Bugels
- 1 ¾ Cups Powdered sugar
- 3-4 Drops Food colouring optional
- 1-2 tablespoon Coloured sprinkles optional
- 3 Cups Corn chips
- 3 Cups Pretzel twists mini
- 2 Cups Reese's pieces
- 2 Cups M&Ms regular or peanut
Muddy Buddy Chex
- In a small saucepan, mix ¼ cup of peanut butter, chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat on low and stir until melted and smooth. Alternatively, place the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Place the Chex cereal in large bowl and add the melted chocolate mixture.
- Stir well to coat the cereal in the chocolate, then place the coated cereal in a large ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar.
- Seal the bag and shake well until all the cereal is coated in powdered sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and spread the coated cereal over the baking sheet. Allow it to dry for about 20 minutes, then add it to the rest of the snack mix.
Muddy Buddy Bugels
- In a small saucepan, mix ¼ cup of peanut butter, white chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat on low and stir until melted and smooth. Alternatively, place the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Place the Bugels in large bowl and add the melted chocolate mixture.
- Stir well to coat the Bugelsl in the peanut butter mixture, then place the coated Bugelsl in a large ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar. If desired add a few drops of food colouring and 1-2 tablespoons of sprinkles.
- Seal the bag and shake well until all the Bugels are coated in powdered sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and spread the coated Bugels over the baking sheet. Allow themdry for about 20 minutes, then add it to the rest of the snack mix.
To assemble the snack mix
- In a large bowl mix the muddy buddies and remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine then move to large ziplock bags or airtight containers to store.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Happy Halloween!Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #8 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #9 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #10 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
Prize #11 from Michaela from An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer from Take Two Tapas and Michele from West Via Midwest
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #13 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
1 Copy of her cookbook, ” The Serial Killer Cookbook: True Crime Trivia and Disturbingly Delicious Last Meals from Death Row’s Most Infamous Killers and Murderers”
Prize #14 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
a Rafflecopter giveaway Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!
Wednesday 7th of October 2020
What a great Mix of flavors and textures this is perfect for Halloween and Fall
Amy (Savory Moments)
Wednesday 7th of October 2020
I love the sweet and salty mix -- I'll take a big bowl for my Halloween movie viewing!
Tuesday 6th of October 2020
I am such a fan of sweet and salty and this is an even better mix this time of year! All the candy mix-ins!!
Karen @Karen's Kitchen Stories
Monday 5th of October 2020
I love how you used the muffin paper liners to serve this treat! Very cute.
Monday 5th of October 2020
Can't wait to make this with the kids! This will be a perfect snack to have the days leading up to Halloween. Looks adorable and surprisingly easy!