These apple streusel muffins are perfect for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack. Loaded with fresh apples, warm spices and a crunchy streusel topping, they are perfect any time of year.
I love muffins. They are the perfect grab and go breakfast and the varieties are endless. Muffins are also fairly easy to make and I generally have all the ingredients I need without having to go shopping, which is a definite bonus.
The perfect muffin, though, needs the perfect muffin top. You know the one I’m talking about. It is that muffin top that is wide and tall and slightly crunchy on the edges. Let’s be honest, when you are standing at the counter in a bakery, it is that huge, beautiful muffin top that sells the muffin.
These apple streusel muffins have that big, crisp muffin top. The trick is to make sure the batter is not too thin and not overworked. Then you need to fill the muffin cups very full. I know what you are thinking. You are worried that the muffin batter is going to spread and end up all over your oven. Trust me, the first few times I made these I was worried too and I watched through the oven door as they baked to make sure the batter wasn’t spilling over the sides. But it never has. I’m happy to say that in all the times I’ve made this recipe, which is a lot, it has never made a mess in my oven.
This recipe makes 6 perfect muffins. If you are thinking that this seems like a lot of work for only half dozen muffins you could certainly make 12 smaller muffins, if you wish, or double the recipe to make 12 large muffins. I sort of like that it only makes 6 though.
The thing about muffins, especially homemade, is that they tend to dry out fairly quickly, really only being truly enjoyable for the first few days. Because this recipe only makes 6 muffins they don’t usually have time to dry out before you’ve eaten them all. Honestly, this recipe comes together so quickly that it isn’t much of a chore to make these a few times a week, if needed. The added bonus to making them more often is that you can change up the ingredients and make more varieties. I’ve used this basic muffin recipe for blueberry, raspberry, and even strawberry muffins.
Now, enough talking about muffins, let’s make them!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST EVER APPLE STREUSEL MUFFINS
Begin by mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Set the bowl aside and in a measuring cup or small bowl whisk the egg and vegetable oil together until well combined.
Stir the milk and vanilla into the egg and oil mixture.
Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Fold the apples into the batter, then scoop the batter into a lined muffin tray. It is ok that the batter is heaping out of the tin, this is going to create our big muffin tops.
Now, using your fingers, mix the streusel ingredients in a small bowl until well mixed and crumbly.
Pile that topping onto the muffins. (Don’t worry if you make a mess, I always do!)
Place in the oven to bake for approximately 30 minutes. Mine are usually perfect at about 28 minutes. You are looking for golden tops and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the centre of the muffins.
Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
Look at how beautiful those muffin tops are! You can serve these apple streusel muffins immediately (I highly recommend it) or you can keep in an airtight container for a few days.
Serve and enjoy!
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- Can I use only white or whole wheat flour? Yes, you can use all whole wheat, all white or any ratio of the two to make 1.5 Cups of flour.
- Can I use a different oil? Yes you can. I have made this recipe with melted coconut oil or melted butter with great success.
- Can I reduce the sugar? This is already a fairly low sugar muffin recipe, but you could reduce it to 1/4 cup if you like.
- Can I use different fruit? Absolutely. I have used this muffin base for strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry muffins.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Best Ever Apple Streusel Muffins
- 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/3 Cup + 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Medium Apple diced (equalling 1 cup)
For the Streusel Topping
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 3 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and apple pie spice in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with the vegetable oil and then stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the apples and then scoop the batter into a lined muffin tin.
- In a small bowl mix the streusel ingredients with your fingers until well combined and crumbly.
- Place a large scoop of streusel on top of each muffin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 28-30 minunutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from the tin and move to a cooling rack.