Made with fresh, simple ingredients and minimal preparation, this is the best homemade guacamole. Fresh avocado, limes, cilantro and a few extra ingredients make this the perfect dip or side for your next Mexican meal.
Homemade guacamole is easy and quick to make and it is so much better than any you will buy at the grocery store.
Guacamole begins with ripe avocados and the simplest recipe will often include nothing but the avocados, some lime and a bit of salt.
I like my guacamole to have a bit more flavour. I’ve added some simple ingredients to this recipe that I feel really takes it over the top.
While I’ve included measurements for this recipe, I think one of the best things about it is that you don’t have to be exact. If you want to add more or less of one ingredient or another, that is perfectly fine.
This recipe is meant to be stress free and easy. Just have fun with it and enjoy!
Why this recipe works
Guacamole is a traditional side with many Mexican meals. It’s perfect with a bowl of tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos.
This recipe is made with fresh, simple ingredients and comes together with minimal prep time. It can be served right away or made ahead of time and can easily be scaled up or down to make a batch as big or small as you need.
- Fresh avocados – fresh will provide better texture than frozen
- Cherry tomatoes – or ⅓ cup diced tomatoes
- Red onion – milder than white onions, but can use either
- Cilantro – can eliminate if you don’t like cilantro
- Greek yogurt – or sour cream
- Garlic powder – or one clove fresh, minced
- Cumin – regular or roasted for additional flavour
- Fresh lime juice – or 2 tablespoons of bottled
- Salt – to taste
Step by Step Instructions
- Scoop avocados into a medium size bowl
- Add remaining ingredients
- Blend with an immersion blender until guacamole is preferred consistency.
If you don’t have an immersion blender you can simply mash the avocado, then finely chop the remaining ingredients and stir them in. Your guacamole will be a bit chunkier, but it will be delicious.
How to serve fresh guacamole
You can serve this guacamole as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies or as a side with tacos, burritos, enchiladas or anything else you can think of.
Guacamole will start to turn brown if left exposed to the air for too long, so I recommend keeping it covered until ready to serve.
Top Tips & FAQS
When choosing an avocado look for one with dark green skin. When you hold the avocado in your hand and apply gentle pressure it should feel just slightly soft.
If it is hard, like a baseball it’s under-ripe and if it is really easy to squeeze then it is over-ripe.
This guacamole will keep well for 3-4 days when stored in the refrigerator. Cover it with plastic wrap and press the plastic wrap down so that it is in contact with the top of the guacamole.
It is normal to see a bit of browning or some liquid coming to the top after it’s been sitting. You can just stir it up and enjoy.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Pin this recipe for later!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a rating or comment to let me know!
The Best Homemade GuacamolePrint Pin Save Recipe Saved! Rate
- 2 Large Avocados
- 5 Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ⅓ Cup Red onion diced
- ¼ Cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Lime juice juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ Cup Fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Scoop the avocados into a medium size bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients
- With an immersion blender, blend until guacamole is desired consitency. You can leave it a bit chunky, or blend smooth
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.