These easy grilled chicken burritos come together quick with just a few simple ingredients. Great for a quick dinner and perfect for a grab and go lunch.
We are always looking for meals that come together quickly and that can serve as easy grab and go lunches for my husband. Now that I’m home everyday, this isn’t as essential as when I was working a 9-5 job, but my days are still busy and quick meals have saved us from ordering out on numerous occasions.
These grilled chicken burritos are easy, tasty, and fast. Like some of my other quick recipes I start with cooked shredded chicken and add a few extra ingredients that are almost always on hand. After I roll them I toss them on the griddle for a minute or so per side to crisp them up. Then I serve them with sides such as sour cream, salsa or guacamole.
These burritos can be frozen and make a great grab-and-go lunch. Because they are so fast to make you can set aside just half an hour on a weekend to make a dozen or so for the freezer.
The great thing about these burritos is they are easy to customize to your liking. My hubby isn’t as fond of beans as I am, so sometimes I leave them out. I’ve also swapped the chicken for left over pulled pork (fantastic, by the way!) You could also use beef or leave the meat out all together and load them up with beans and veggies to keep them vegetarian.
The rest of the ingredients are simple and very likely in your kitchen right now; onion, salsa, cheese, frozen corn, and taco seasoning. That’s it! I like making my own taco seasoning as it I find it more flavourful and it contains far less sodium than store bought. I make a jar at a time so it is always ready. You can find a recipe for homemade taco seasoning here.
HOW TO MAKE EASY GRILLED CHICKEN BURRITOS
- Add oil and onion to a large skillet and cook until onions are translucent
- Add the chicken, salsa, corn and taco seasoning. Heat through
- Spread some beans on each tortilla
- Top with chicken mixture
- Add some cheese
- Roll the burritos up
- Brush or spray each side with a big of oil
- Place on a skillet, seam side down to brown, then turn and brown the other side. (One to two minutes per side)
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream
If you want to freeze these, wait for them to cool completely, then wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- If you don’t have chicken, you can use leftover pulled pork or beef
- Easily make them vegetarian by leaving out the meat and loading them with vegetables of choice.
- You don’t have to cook the refried beans before filling the burritos. Canned refried beans are precooked and the heat from the filling and grilling will heat them through.
- If you want to make a large batch of these, you could place them seam side down on a baking sheet and bake them at 375 for about 15 minutes instead of grilling them.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Easy Grilled Chicken Burritos
- 4 10-inch Tortillas
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion diced
- 2 Cups Cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 Cup Frozen or canned corn
- 1/2 Cup Chunky salsa
- 1 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 Cup Refried beans
- 1 Cup Shredded cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil and add onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add the chicken to the pan along with the corn, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir and cook until heated through.
- Spread ¼ cup of beans down the center of each tortilla, then top with chicken mixture and cheese
- Roll the burritos up by folding the 2 sides about an inch over the filling, then fold the bottom half of the tortilla over the filling and roll to close.
- Heat a clean, large skillet on medium heat. Brush or spray bottom and top of each burrito with oil, then place seam side down on the skillet. Heat about one minute, then turn and heat the other side.
- Serve with sides of choice.