These slow cooker shredded beef sandwiches are a meal the whole family will love. Beef is simmered all day in a rich broth and then piled high on toasted buns with sautéed mushrooms and melted cheese. Finished with a horseradish mayo for an extra kick of flavour.
I have a secret. OK, maybe it isn’t such a secret to those who know me well. Come to think of it, as long as someone has gone out to eat with me they probably know what it is. The secret is, I love beef dip sandwiches. When I go out to eat, if there is beef dip on the menu, you can bet I’ll be ordering it. Very rarely do I sway from this.
The thing is, going out to eat is expensive. When you cook at home not only do you save money, but you can eat dinner in your pajamas if you like. (I may or may not have done this on occasion.)
These slow cooker shredded beef sandwiches are so easy to make and generally run me around $4 a sandwich instead of $20, which is a pretty significant savings.
I like to add sautéed mushrooms and Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese to my sandwiches. And I always add a spread of horseradish mayo which adds a nice bit of heat.
You can customize these any way you like. If you want just the beef, that is totally ok. If you want to go crazy and add roasted peppers or crispy onions, that would be super delicious too. Really I’m giving you the beef recipe, the rest is only limited to your imagination.
These sandwiches are so big that they really are a meal all on their own. But when I am wanting a side to go with them I will sometimes toss some fries in the air fryer. Occasionally I want a side with them, but don’t want anything too heavy. This Hawaiian macaroni salad is tangy and delicious, and when I want something really light with them, then this low-carb coleslaw is perfect.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SHREDDED BEEF SANDWICHES
The first thing to do is cook the beef.
Place the beef in the slow cooker, then add the broth, consumme, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes and garlic. Close the lid and set the cooker to high for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, reduce to low and cook for another 4-5 hours until it pulls apart easily when pierced with a fork.
When the beef is almost done you can prep any other ingredients you want to add; sautéed the mushrooms, shred the cheese, and mix the mayonnaise and horseradish for the spread.
Once the beef is done cooking, remove it from the pot and, with two forks, shred the beef.
Make sure you reserve the liquid in the pot for dipping!
Now simply assemble your sandwiches, and if you are using cheese, pop them into the oven at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with a bowl of the jus from the pot.
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- Can I use a pressure cooker instead? Yes, you can do this in a pressure cooker. Simply add the beef and other ingredients to the pot, then close the lid. Set the cooker to seal and then set on high for 1 hour. After the timer is complete, allow the cooker to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then turn the dial to vent to release remaining pressure. Remove the beef from the pot and shred.
- Can I skip the 2 hours on high and just cook on low? Yes, if you are going to be gone all day and your cooker does not have a timer, you can cook this on low for 8-9 hours. Alternatively, if you need it done faster, you can cook on high for about 5 hours.
- Can I use any cut of meat? Almost any cut of meat can be slow simmered, like we are doing for this recipe. But I would suggest choosing a cut that is designated a pot roast, like a chuck roast, blade roast or brisket. They are usually a bit less expensive, and because they have a bit more fat they are going to shred better and develop a bit more flavour when slow cooked.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- 2.5 Pound Beef pot roast boneless
- 1 Can Beef consumme
- 1/2 Cup Beef broth low sodium
- 1 Tbsp Onion flakes
- 2 tsp Minced garlic or 3-4 cloves fresh
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1.5 Cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 6 Ciabatta buns or hogie rolls
- 1/3 Cup Mayonaise
- 1-2 Tbsp Horseradish
- Place the beef in the slow cooker, then add the consumme, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, and minced garlic. Close the lid, set the cooker to high, and cook 2 hours.
- After 2 hours reduce the cooker to low and cook for approximalty 5 hours.
- In a smal bowl, mix the mayonaise and horseradish. Set aside.
- When the beef is almost ready, sautee the mushrooms in a skillet with a bit of butter or oil until soft.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove the beef from the pot and place it in bowl. Pull the meat apart with 2 forks until it is shredded.
- Cut each bun open and lay them on a baking sheet. Spread some of the horseradish sauce on each side of the buns. Then place a large pile of beef on one side of each bun.
- Top the beef with a scoop of mushrooms, then a handful of cheese.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and close each sandwich.
- Whisk the remaining juices in the slow cooker to help emmusify any seperation, then ladle it in to small bowls.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve with a bowl of the jus for dipping.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.Click here to join our Facebook Group: Easy Homemade Recipes