This easy vegetarian lasagna is hearty and delicious. Loaded with veggies and cheese it is a perfect meal for your next meatless Monday.
This easy vegetarian lasagna is one of my favourites. We certainly are not a vegetarian household, but there are certain meals that I really enjoy without meat. Lasagna is one of them.
Traditional beef lasagnas can be heavy and leave you feeling overfull and sluggish. I find that when I have a vegetarian lasagna, I don’t end up feeling that way. I tested a lot of recipes before I came up with one that was perfect, but once I created this one, I knew I had a winner. We have this meal quite often, and it is always a hit.
The reason this lasagna works so well is because you begin by dicing all the vegetables, then you sauté them until they are soft. This helps release the water from the vegetables before they go into pan so that you aren’t left with a watery lasagna.
This recipe is really fast and easy to assemble and it is so easy to customize. You can use whatever vegetables you like. I always load mine with plenty of mushrooms because I love them and because they have a meaty texture, but if mushrooms aren’t your thing, that is totally ok, simply replace them with a veggie you do enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE EASY VEGETARIAN LASAGNA
Start by chopping the spinach, then add it to the ricotta cheese, along with the egg and mix well. Set it aside.
Next, dice all of the veggies and then place them in a large pan with the olive oil and sauté them until they are soft. I actually like to use my wok for this as it is big and deep and easy to stir the ingredients together without making a huge mess.
Once they the vegetables have softened, drain any liquid from the pan, then add the garlic, herbs and spices, and the tomato sauce and tomato paste.
Allow this to heat for a few minutes until it has heated through.
Next we will assemble the lasagna. In a deep 9×13 pan, spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce mix.
Next add a layer of noodles, followed by 2/3 of the remaining sauce.
Then add another layer of noodles.
Now spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the noodles.
Add a third layer of noodles, then top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the shredded cheese
Now cover with tinfoil and place in the oven for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove the tinfoil and turn the oven to broil. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
We love to serve this lasagna with a simple salad, some garlic bread, or my favourite homemade garlic knots, but it is also hearty enough to enjoy on its own.
Serve it sprinkled with some fresh herbs or parmesan cheese and enjoy!
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL HINTS
- Do I have to use fresh noodles? If you can’t find the fresh lasagna sheets, or would prefer to use dried pasta, that’s fine. Simply cook the noodles according to package directions and layer them in the same manner as you would with the fresh sheets.
- Can I use different vegetables? Of course! You could use whatever vegetables you like.
- Can I use store bought pasta sauce? Sure. If you would like to save yourself some time and you have a favourite sauce, go ahead and use that.
- Can I freeze the leftovers? You sure can, and it makes great lunches at work. Simply wait until it has cooled, portion as you like and freeze it in airtight containers.
- Can I assemble this ahead of time? Yes, and I do it all the time. Simply assemble, then cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. It will take longer to bake, about 45-60 minutes, but it still cooks perfectly.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Easy Vegetarian Lasagna
- 6 Cups spinach, packed chopped
- 2 Cups ricotta cheese
- 1 Large egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cups zucchini diced
- 3 Cups bell peppers (red, yellow, orange) diced
- 5 Cups mushrooms diced
- 2 Cups onions diced
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp basil dried
- 1 Tbsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 23 oz tomato sauce 1 large can (680 ml)
- 5 oz tomato paste 1 can (156 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 9 fresh lasagna sheets
- 2 Cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium size bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the chopped spinach and egg. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and add the olive oil, then add the zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, and onion. Cook until vegetables have softened, then drain any liquid that has formed.
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, then add the oregano, basil, chilli flakes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook just until the sauce is heated through.
- Set oven to 350 degrees and begin assembling the lasagna
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the pan, then add a layer of noodles.
- Spread 2/3 of the remaining sauce over the noodles, then add a second layer of noodles.
- Next spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the lasagna then add the third layer of noodles.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the noodles, then add the shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes you should see the sauce bubbling when you remove the foil. If not, return to the oven until it does. Then remove the foil, turn the oven to broil, and broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.