Spicy chipotle mayo is a spicy, creamy dip and spread that is delicious on burgers, sandwiches and as a dip for sweet potato fries and French fries. The chipotle peppers give this spicy mayonnaise a slightly smoky flavour that makes it perfect as a condiment with BBQ dishes. Made with simple ingredients, it comes together in just minutes and can be adjusted for spice depending on how many peppers you add.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
What is Chipotle Mayo?
Chipotle mayo is a creamy, spicy condiment with a slightly smoky flavour that works well as either a dip or spread.
It is made with mayonnaise that has been blended with spicy chipotle peppers and a few other simple ingredients. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and packs a punch of flavour.
The smokiness from the chipotle peppers and smoked paprika make this an excellent condiment for grilled foods such as burgers and chicken, but it is also delicious as a dip for your favourite appetizers. It is frequently seen as a condiment in restaurants to go along with French fries and sweet potato fries. But we also love it on crispy air fried zucchini sticks.
Due to using whole, blended peppers, this mayonnaise falls on the higher end of spice levels. If you are worried about the heat you can make it a bit milder by using fewer peppers.
However, if you don’t like a lot of spice, but still want a mayo with a bit of heat, you may prefer the milder boom boom sauce or bang bang sauce. These spices use sweet chilli sauce instead of whole peppers and have a much lower spice level.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Mayonnaise – You can use regular mayo, light, non-fat or even vegan mayo.
- Sour Cream – Just a bit of sour cream helps cut the richness of the mayonnaise and also helps balance the flavour of the spicy chipotle peppers. If you don’t have or like sour cream, Greek yogurt is a great substitute.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – The chipotle peppers are what give this mayonnaise it’s spicy, smoky flavour. You should be able to find canned chipotle peppers in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store.
- Adobo sauce – This is the sauce that the chipotle peppers are packed in. Using a bit gives the sauce just a bit of extra heat and creaminess.
- Granulated garlic – I like using granulated garlic for sauces such as this as it doesn’t overwhelm the flavours like fresh garlic can. But you can use a small clove of fresh if you prefer.
- Smoked paprika – This adds to the smokiness and adds great flavour to the mayo.
- Lime juice – Lime goes great with spicy flavours, it helps balance the flavours and bring everything together.
Step by Step Instructions
Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
Using an immersion blender, place the end of the blender into the mix and pulse a few times on low speed to blend until you reach your preferred consistency.
If you do not have an immersion blender you can use a food processor or blender instead.
Let the blended chipotle mayo rest for at least an hour before serving for best flavour.
Pro-Tip: If you are worried about the heat level, start with only 1 or 2 peppers and then taste the mayo. You can always add another pepper or two if it isn’t spicy enough, but it is hard to reduce the spice level after the mayo is mixed.
Chipotle mayo is a delicious condiment that can be used in a variety of ways.
This spicy, smoky mayo is perfect as a dip for French fries, sweet potato fries, air fried tater tots, chicken bites and roasted veggies.
It is also excellent with breaded or fried shrimp, chicken strips, and many other appetizers.
Chipotle mayonnaise is also the perfect condiment to serve on skillet burgers and sandwiches.
You can store homemade chipotle mayonnaise in air-tight containers in the refrigerator. It should keep well for about 2 weeks.
Small mason jars work very well for this.
Top Tips & FAQS
- You can use any type of mayo you like. Full-fat, half-fat and fat free all work well.
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt.
- Using fresh lime juice will result in the best flavour.
- If you are unsure about the heat level, start with fewer peppers and add more once you’ve tasted it if it needs more spice.
Chipotle mayo will keep for about 2 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Unfortunately, this sauce does not freeze well. Freezing will cause it to separate and become watery. It is best made in smaller batches as you need it.
To make this chipotle mayo vegan, simply substitute the mayonnaise with your favourite store-bought or homemade vegan mayonnaise.
More Easy Mayo Recipes
Spicy Chipotle Mayo
- ½ Cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2-3 chipotle peppers canned peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the canned peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice fresh
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using an immersion blender on low speed, pulse a few times until the mixture is smooth, or until it is your preferred consistency. Make sure the blender is submerged before turning it on to prevent splashing.
- Let the mayo rest for one hour before serving for best flavour.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Wednesday 6th of July 2022
This spicy chipotle mayo is unbelievably good! I make a batch at least once a month to spice up lunch time. I really like using it in a chicken wrap but it also is great on regular deli turkey sandwiches or panini's. Hands down my fave "fancy" mayo recipe!
Friday 1st of July 2022
Love this spicy mayo! I recently got an air fryer, and made some wedges in it and served them alongside your mayo - they were cleaned up super quickly! My friends all asked for the recipe and will be trying it soon.
Friday 1st of July 2022
I made this to go on burgers and it was so good! It was creamy, flavorful, and had just the right amount of spice from the chipotle peppers. I'm saving some for tomorrow's sandwich. Yum!