Bang bang sauce is a creamy, sweet and spicy mayonnaise-based sauce that can be served with chicken, fish, veggies, or a dip for french fries, roasted potatoes, or other favourite appetizers. This Homemade bang bang sauce is quick and easy and made with simple pantry ingredients.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE, I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a sweet and spicy mayonnaise-based condiment that can be used as a sauce, dip, or spread.
The primary ingredients are mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce, and it also contains sriracha sauce for a bit of extra spice. Other ingredients often include honey and rice wine vinegar. Garlic is sometimes added but is optional.
Because this sauce contains a good amount of sweet Thai chili sauce, and less sriracha, it is milder than the popular spicy sriracha mayo. Making it a great option for someone who wants a bit of spice, but can’t tolerate a lot of heat.
Bang bang sauce is especially great with dishes such as deep-fried chicken strips or fried shrimp. It is well known as the sauce used in the Bonefish Grill appetizer Bang Bang Shrimp.
It also makes a great dip for french fries, sweet potato fries, roasted potatoes, or tater tots. And it is even delicious with things such as grilled or roasted asparagus spears or broccoli florets. Bang bang shrimp can also be served alongside sushi.
This spicy mayonnaise sauce can even be used as a sandwich spread.
Bang bang sauce is made with just 5 simple ingredients. You will need:
- Mayonnaise – You can use regular mayo, light, non-fat or even vegan mayo.
- Sweet Thai chili sauce – This sauce is sweet and spicy and makes up the bulk of the flavour in this bang bang sauce. You should be able to find it in the ethnic section of your grocery store.
- Sriracha sauce – This adds an extra kick of spice. You can use more or less depedning on your spice tolerance. If you want to keep the sauce on the milder side you can omit it if you prefer.
- Honey – Honey just helps sweeten the sauce a bit more and balances the spice. If you find the bang bang sauce sweet enough after adding the sweet chili sauce you can omit the honey.
- Rice wine vinegar – This helps bring the flavours together and balances the flavours. Rice wine vinegar is often used in sushi and can be found in the ethnic section of the grocery store. As we are using such a small amount you can use either seasoned or unseasoned rice wine vinegar.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Pro-Tip: If you want to lighten the calories in this recipe you can substitute greek yogurt for the mayonnaise. The result will be a slightly tangier sauce, but it will work just as well.
Making bang bang sauce is as easy as placing the ingredients in a bowl and stirring until combined.
You can enjoy this sauce immediately, but for an even better flavour you can let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour before serving. This will allow the flavours to blend.
Bang bang sauce is a delicious condiment that can be used to flavour many of your favourite dishes.
One of the most common recipes using bang bang sauce includes breaded shrimp or fried shrimp. The sweet and spicy sauce is a perfect complement to the sweet and salty shrimp.
You can even serve it as a dipping sauce for vegetables such as asparagus spears, or steamed broccoli florets.
Is Bang Bang Sauce the Same as Boom Boom Sauce?
Not quite. Both bang bang sauce and boom boom sauce are mayonnaise-based sauces that include chili sauce. They are both slightly sweet and spicy, but boom boom sauce has the addition of ketchup and usually contains added garlic.
The two sauces are often used interchangeably and the flavour profile is very similar, with boom boom sauce being a bit tangier and containing a slight tomato flavour due to the ketchup.
If a recipe calls for boom boom sauce you can usually substitute bang bang sauce without any issue and which one you reach for is really a matter of preference and the ingredients you have on hand.
You can store bang bang sauce in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Small mason jars work well for this.
Bang bang sauce should keep for about 10 days when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. If you are using homemade ingredients, such as homemade mayonnaise, the time may be shorter.
More Easy Sauce Recipes
Easy Homemade Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp sriracha sauce or to taste
- 1 Tbsp honey or to taste
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.