A spicy sriracha mayo sauce that is slightly tangy with just the right amount of heat. This mayo is perfect for dipping your favourite appetizers or as a sauce for burgers, sandwiches or sushi.
What is spicy mayo?
Spicy mayo is a delicious, spicy mayonnaise that can be used as a dip or sauce for all your favourite foods.
It is excellent as a sauce on burgers, like quick skillet cheeseburgers or on your favourite sandwich.
It is also great with sushi.
Expert Tip – If you want the flavours of spicy mayo, but want to keep things a little healthier, you can replace part or all of the mayonnaise with greek yogurt.
Why this recipe works
This recipe uses easy to find ingredients and takes less than 2 minutes to prepare.
It is an all purpose sauce with just the right amount of heat and can be used with your favourite appetizers, or as a sauce on burgers, sandwiches or sushi.
This sauce will keep for about two weeks in the refrigerator so you can always have a jar on hand.
You will need:
- Mayonnaise – Whatever your favourite brand happens to be and you can use regular or light. Just be sure it is mayonnaise and not Miracle whip or sandwich spread as they have a very different flavour.
- Sriracha – This is what gives the sauce its spicy kick.
- Honey – Adds just a hint of sweetness and helps mellow the flavour of the sriracha.
- Garlic – I use one small clove, between half and one teaspoon. If you don’t use fresh you can use half a teaspoon of granulated garlic instead.
- Lemon juice – Be sure to use fresh if you can. Lemon juice helps enhance the flavours and gives just a bit of tang.
If you are worried about it being too spicy, start with two tablespoons of sriracha. If you like a lot of spice you can add more.
How to make spicy mayo
All you need to do to make spicy sriracha mayo is place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well mixed.
It will take less than 2 minutes to prepare, but will taste best when it has had at least an hour in the refrigerator to let the flavours mellow out and blend.
Expert Tip – While it can be served right away, the flavours in this sauce will continue to develop and balance the longer it can rest before serving. Try letting it sit in the refrigerator at least an hour before serving, or even overnight. It will really make a difference.
Is sriracha mayo Yum-Yum sauce?
Not quite. Both spicy sriracha mayo and yum-yum sauce begin with a mayonnaise base, but sriracha mayo is going to be spicier than most yum-yum sauces.
Spicy mayo is a mixture of mayonnaise and hot sauce with a few added ingredients while the base for yum-yum sauce is mayonnaise and tomato paste with just a hint of heat.
Both are great and can be used interchangeably in most recipes, but if you don’t like much heat then you will probably prefer the mellower yum-yum sauce.
Top Tips & FAQS
If you don’t like the taste of sriracha, or find it a bit too spicy, then sweet Thai chili sauce is a great option to use in place of the sriracha.
Spicy mayo should keep for about two weeks in the refrigerator.
You sure can. Make sure you are choosing a vegan mayo and replace the honey with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Spicy Sriracha Mayo Sauce
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 clove Garlic pressed or minced
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Allow to rest in the refrigerator one hour before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.