These quick skillet cheeseburgers are incredibly juicy and are on the table in just 15 minutes. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
I love a good cheeseburger. And while we love to fire up the grill and cook burgers outside, it can take a while for the grill to heat up, especially if you are using charcoal.
Sometimes we just need dinner quickly and don’t have the extra time to wait for the grill to do its thing.
Enter the skillet cheeseburger. Honestly, as much as I love a good, grilled burger, I love these quick skillet cheeseburgers just as much. Not only are they super fast to make, but the burger patties stay incredibly juicy. I’m serious. You will need a good stack of paper towels while you eat these.
How to make quick skillet cheeseburgers
The best part about skillet cheeseburgers is that they are quick, require minimal cookware, and are made of only a few ingredients.
You will need a good, heavy skillet. Cast iron is my favourite, but if you don’t have one then any heavy bottom skillet will do.
- Place the skillet on the stove on medium-high heat (a 12 inch skillet is perfect for 4 burgers)
- Form the beef into 4 large meatballs
- As soon as the skillet is hot, drop the meat balls into the skillet leaving plenty of room around them.
- Now smash the meatballs flat with a spatula. The flatter you smash them, the quicker they cook.
- After smashing the patties, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook for about 4 minutes, then flip the patties and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the cheese and place a lid on the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes longer, until cheese is melted and then serve.
What to serve with skillet cheeseburgers
There are so many great options to serve with cheeseburgers.
I’m not going to lie, if I’m in a real hurry, I might just toss some frozen french fries in the air fryer as they only take about 15 minutes to cook.
Other frequent choices are a simple caesar salad or garden salad.
Of course, there is also nothing wrong with eating these cheeseburgers all on their own.
Can I make cheeseburgers ground turkey?
You sure can. You can follow the same method as listed below to make these cheeseburgers with ground turkey. Just be extra careful to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
Can I make burger patties ahead of time?
These burgers cook so quickly that there is really no time saving in cooking them ahead of time. But if you feel you need to, then cook them without the cheese. When you are ready to serve, place in an oven safe dish, add the cheese and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Are burger patties gluten free?
While many burger patties are made with breadcrumbs, these burger patties are 100% gluten free. They are made from nothing but the beef, salt and pepper.
What type of pan should I cook my burgers in?
I love using a cast iron skillet when cooking burger patties. They heat evenly and get super hot, which creates a great crust on the patty. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, then any heavy bottom pan will do.
Other recipes you might like
Pin this recipe for later!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a comment or rating!
Quick Skillet Cheeseburgers
- 1 Pound Lean ground beef
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 Slices Cheddar cheese or any cheese you prefer
- 4 Hamburger buns or ciabatta buns
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Place large skillet on the stove on med-high heat (12 inch skillet is perfect for 4 burgers)
- Form the beef into 4 large meatballs
- When the skillet is hot, drop the meatballs into the pan leaving plenty of space in between
- With a spatula, press the meatballs flat. The thinner you press them, the faster they will cook. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook for approximately 4 minutes, then flip the burgers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then place a slice of cheese on each patty.
- Cover with a lid and cook another 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve on burger buns with desired toppings.