Made with mayo, ketchup and chili sauce, Boom boom sauce is a slightly sweet, slightly spicy mayonnaise-based sauce with just a bit of tang. This homemade sauce is quick, easy and delicious. Perfect as a dipping sauce for french fries, sweet potato fries, breaded shrimp or any other appetizer. Also delicious as a spread or sauce for burgers and sandwiches. With just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time, this sauce will become your new favourite condiment.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is Boom Boom Sauce?
Boom boom sauce is a mayonnaise-based sauce that contains ketchup, sweet chili sauce and a small amount of sriracha. It is perfect for those that want a sauce with a bit of spice, but like their spice on the milder side.
Because this sauce contains a ketchup and sweet chili sauce it is much milder and sweeter than either sriracha mayo or bang bang sauce. The ketchup gives it a slightly tangy flavour and a hint of tomato.
This homemade sauce is extremely easy to make coming together in just a few minutes and requires only 5 simple ingredients.
Boom boom sauce is delicious as a dipping sauce, especially with french fries, sweet potato fries or chicken strips. It can also be served with breaded or fried shrimp or other appetizers.
This tangy and slightly spicy mayo is also great on sandwiches and burgers.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Mayonnaise – You can use regular mayo, light, non-fat or even vegan mayo.
- Sweet Thai chili sauce – This sauce is sweet and spicy and makes up the bulk of the flavour in this bang bang sauce. You should be able to find it in the ethnic section of your grocery store.
- Tomato ketcup – Gives the sauce a slight tomato flavour and adds tang and sweetness.
- Sriracha sauce – This adds an extra kick of spice. You can use more or less depedning on your spice tolerance. If you want to keep the sauce on the milder side you can omit it if you prefer.
- Granulated garlic – I like using granulated garlic for sauces such as this as it doesn’t overwhelm the flavours like fresh garlic can. But you can use a small clove of fresh if you prefer.
Step by Step Instructions
Making boom boom sauce is as easy. Just place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined.
You can enjoy this sauce immediately, but making this sauce about an hour ahead of time will really allow the flavour to develop.
Substitutions & Variations
There are a few ways you can customize this recipe depending on your needs or what you have on hand.
- Mayonnaise – You can use light, non-fat or full fat mayonnaise. To lighten things up, you can use Greek yogurt instead.
- Chili sauce – If you want to keep your sauce on the milder side, you can reduce the sweet chili sauce or omit the sriracha.
- Garlic – You can use granulated or powderd garlic, if you prefer you can use a small clove of fresh garlic. If you don’t like garlic, you can leave it out.
To make it sweeter – You can add a bit of honey.
To make it spicier – Increase the sriracha.
To make it vegan – Use your favourite vegan mayonnaise.
Boom boom sauce is a delicious condiment that can be used to flavour many of your favourite dishes.
It is one of my favourite sauces to serve as a dip for french fries or sweet potato fries. The slightly sweet and mildly spicy sauce goes perfectly with the salty, crispy fries.
It is also excellent with breaded or fried shrimp, chicken strips, and many other appetizers.
It also works well as a dip for fresh or roaste, or steamed vegetables such as air fried asparagus spears, or steamed broccoli florets.
This spicy, tangy sauce is also the perfect condiment to serve with burgers and sandwiches.
You can store homemade boom boom sauce in air-tight containers in the refrigerator. It should keep well for about 2 weeks.
Small mason jars work very well for this.
Top Tips & FAQS
Not quite. Both bang bang sauce and boom boom sauce are mayonnaise-based sauces that include chili sauce. They are both slightly sweet and spicy, but boom boom sauce has the addition of ketchup and usually contains added garlic.
The two sauces are often used interchangeably and the flavour profile is very similar, with boom boom sauce being a bit tangier, milder and containing a slight tomato flavour due to the ketchup.
Because this sauce contains chili sauce it does have some spice, but because the bulk of the ingredients is mayonnaise and ketchup it is on the milder side. To make it even milder you can omit the sriracha.
More Sauce Recipes
Easy Homemade Boom Boom Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoon sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- ½ teaspoon Granulated garlic
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
- Move to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.