This tomato basil skillet tortellini is easy to make and is ready in 15 minutes. Just a few simple ingredients combine to make a flavourful meal.
I love pasta, all kinds of pasta. Pasta is quick to cook and there are endless ways you can serve it. The part that takes the longest is usually in making the sauce to go with it. Many sauces need time to simmer in order to allow the flavours to fully develop.
This recipe simplifies things by using fresh ingredients and allowing them to become the sauce. In fact, the sauce contains only five ingredients, if you don’t count the salt and pepper, and there is a good chance you have the ingredients in your refrigerator right now.
The best part about this recipe is that it comes together in only 15 minutes, making it perfect for those nights when you don’t have time to wait for dinner to cook. It is as simple as boiling some water in one pot while you heat the sauce ingredients in a pan and then you toss it all together just before serving.
I used beef filled tortellini for this recipe, but you could use chicken, cheese, or any other flavour you like. This recipe would also work fine with ravioli, and if you don’t want to use filled pasta then you could use any other pasta you choose.
The sauce on this pasta is very light, but because you are using fresh tomatoes and basil it is full of flavour. The trick when using fresh herbs is to add them at the end, this helps them retain their colour, aroma and flavour.
You can serve this pasta with a simple salad, or eat it on it’s own. Either way, it makes an easy, delicious meal.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL SKILLET TORTELLINI
- Start by filling a large pot with water and bringing it to a boil
- While water is heating, heat the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet.
- Add the tomatoes
- Once water is boiling add the pasta and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Drain the pasta and add to the skillet
- Heat for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes are popping and coating the pasta
- Add the basil and parmesan cheese, stir to melt the cheese
- Season with salt and pepper as desired
- Serve and enjoy!
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- In order to get the water boiling fast, start with water as hot as your tap will allow
- Make sure to use medium heat when heating the skillet or you may burn the oil and garlic
- If you don’t have fresh herbs, you could substitute a tsp of dried
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Tomato Basil Skillet Tortellini
- 1 350g Package Fresh tortellini (12 oz)
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Pint Cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Shredded parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 Cup Loosely packed basil chopped. plus extra for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- While the water is comnig to a boil, heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes.
- As soon as water comes to a boil, add the tortellini. Cook 3-4 minutes until the tortellini begins to float.
- Drain the pasta and add to the skillet.
- Stir to combine and cook 1-2 minutes. The tomatoes should be starting to pop and coat the pasta.
- Add the cheese and basil. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese and fresh basil.