Air fryer blueberry turnovers!! Yes, that’s right. You can make homemade turnovers in the air fryer and they are so delicious you will swear they came from a bakery.
I have to admit something. I’m a bit addicted to my air fryer. I’m not usually someone who runs out and buys the latest cooking trends. I actually resisted buying an air fryer for a long time. I didn’t think I needed it and I didn’t think I’d use it. Well, I was wrong.
I have been using my air fryer several times a week ever since the day it was delivered to my door. In fact, I often find myself looking at a food and asking “I wonder if this can be air fried?” The answer, most of the time, is yes! I have yet to be disappointed in anything I’ve put in there. What I love about it most is how quickly, and evenly it cooks the food. Seriously, this thing is amazing, and when it comes to cooking appliances, I don’t say that lightly.
After several weeks of cooking the usual things, like chicken and french fries, I decided it was time to try something sweet. I had some fresh blueberries in the fridge and a box of puff pastry in the freezer, so blueberry turnovers it was.
I was pleasantly surprised at how perfectly these came out. Crispy on the outside. Soft and gooey on the inside. Delicious! In fact, I had to stop myself from eating them all before I had a chance to take the photos.
These blueberry turnovers are fantastic right out of the air fryer, but they are just as good cold and will last several days in an airtight container. If you happen to have any leftover, that is.
If you don’t have an air fryer yet, these can also be made in the oven and I have included the instructions for both. However, if you’ve been on the fence about getting one, like I was, then maybe this will convince you that you need one.
Now, let’s get started.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY TURNOVERS
Begin by making the blueberry filling. Place the blueberries in a small bowl, then add the cornstarch, sugar and lemon zest. Give it a stir and, using your spoon, gently squish a few of the blueberries to release some juice and help the dry ingredients stick to the berries.
Next mix the cream cheese filling and set aside.
Now roll out one sheet of puff pastry and cut into 4 squares. Add a dollop of cream cheese and a scoop of blueberries to each one.
Fold one corner of each square over the filling and then press each edge with a fork to seal.
Place in the air fryer basket, or a parchment lined baking sheet if using the oven. You can use the parchment paper that the puff pastry came in.
Cook according to the directions below for the method you are using then remove to a cooling rack.
Don’t worry about that bit of filling that oozes out. It is normal! In fact, I love that it gets a bit crispy on the bottom and I scoop it up with a fork while it’s still warm and devour it.
The air fryer version gets a bit more colour than the oven version. If you want them a bit more golden you can brush them with a beaten egg before cooking.
Serve and enjoy!
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- The trick to perfectly cooked puff pastry is to not have it too warm before you start. If you need to cook these in batches, only assemble each batch right before cooking.
- These turnovers have lemon, which compliments the berries and adds extra flavour. If you don’t like lemon, you can leave out the zest and replace the lemon juice with milk.
- If you want to change things up, try these with raspberries, strawberries or blackberries!
- For extra golden colour, beat one egg and brush on the turnovers before cooking.
- You can store leftover turnovers in an airtight container for a few days. They also freeze well.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Air Fryer Blueberry Turnovers
- 1 Box Puff pastry
- 1.5 Cups Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
Cream cheese filling
- 1/2 Cup Cream cheese softened
- 1/4 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp Lemon juice fresh
- In a small bowl, mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently press the blueberries with the back of your spoon to pop a few which will help the sugar and cornstarch mix and stick to the berries. Set aside
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roll out your puff pastry on the parchment paper it comes with. Cut each sheet into 4 squares with a knife or pizza cutter. (If your air fryer only has room for 4 turnovers, assemble 1 batch now and assemble the second batch just before the first is done cooking)
- Place approximately 1 tbsp of the cream cheese filling onto one corner of each of the squares, then top with a spoon full of berries. Fold the opposite corner of each square onto itself and then seal all edges with the back of a fork.
- Place each turnover into your air fryer basket, leaving just enough room so that they are not touching. Place into your air fryer and bake at 320 degrees for 18 min. Until the turnovers are puffed, crisp and golden.
- All air fryers cook a little bit different, so if after 18 min your turnovers are not ready, place back in the air fryer and cook in 2 min intervals until you are happy with the doneness.
- When turnovers have finished cooking, remove from the basket and place on a cooling rack. Cool, eat and enjoy!
If you are using the oven
- Follow steps 1-4 as above.
- Place turnovers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (you can use the same parchment paper that the puff pastry came in!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35 min until turnovers are crisp and golden. It is normal to have a bit of the filling seep out as they cook.
- When turnovers have finished cooking, remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Cool, eat and enjoy!
MORE AIR FRYER SWEET TREATS TO TRY
Pin this recipe for later!