Made with refrigerated pizza dough, deli ham and shredded cheese, these baked ham and cheddar rolls are so easy to make and are so tasty you will be making them again and again. Perfect for quick snacks or school lunches
These rolls are inspired by a recipe my mom makes. She makes an appetizer out of refrigerated crescent rolls which she fills with ham, cheese and ranch dressing.
They are so good! Whenever she makes them people ask her for the recipe and are often surprised to find they are made with only 4 ingredients.
I decided to change things up a bit with this recipe and used refrigerated pizza dough, along with a mustard spread, ham and cheddar. I cut mine into bigger rolls and, when you make them this size, they are perfect for a snack or meal.
Why this recipe works
With simple ingredients that kids love, these rolls are both quick and easy to make.
They are excellent hot or cold which makes them ideal for kids lunches and after school snacks.
- Refrigerated pizza dough – can be found in most grocery stores. Refrigerated crescent rolls work well too.
- Deli ham – the thin slices roll well and don’t need to be precooked.
- Shredded cheese – melts easily and evenly. Try to use fresh shredded as it will melt better than packaged shredded cheese.
- Mayonnaise – forms the base of the sauce
- Mustard – you can use any type of mustard you like
Now, if mustard isn’t your thing, I highly suggest doing it my mom’s way by using ranch dressing instead, but you could use any dressing you choose.
They would also be great with BBQ or pizza sauce. If you really want to change things up you could use turkey and Swiss, or salami and mozzarella.
The possibilities are truly endless.
Step by Step Instructions
HOW TO MAKE BAKED HAM & CHEDDAR ROLLS
Begin by mixing the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
Place a large piece of parchment or wax paper on the counter and then unroll one tube of pizza dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 14×10 inches.
You really don’t need to be precise, and it’s totally fine if the edges are not even. Make sure the long edge is facing you.
Next, spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over the dough.
Now add a layer of ham and then a layer of shredded cheese. (Remember to reserve half of each for the next batch.)
Next we need to fold our rolls.
Start by folding the bottom. Using the parchment paper to lift and fold dough, fold it up until the edge meets the middle.
Carefully pull the paper off and then fold the top down. Then you can gently press to seal the edge and pull the paper off.
Hot Tip: Don’t skip rolling the dough on the parchment/was paper. You will not be able to successfully fold the roll without it.
Cut the roll into 6 pieces and place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet leaving 1-2 inches between them.
Repeat the process with remaining ingredients.
Whisk the egg and milk together and brush on the top of the rolls. Then pop in the oven for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
The cheese will ooze a bit from the sides and that is perfectly ok, in fact, that crispy, melty cheese is kind of delicious.
Remove cooked rolls to a cooling rack, or directly to a serving platter, you could also eat them straight from the baking sheet, I won’t judge.
These rolls should take about 35 minutes to cook.
Top Tips & FAQS
These rolls keep well in the fridge for several days. Simply place in airtight container or ziplock bags. They are delicious cold, but can be reheated in the oven or microwave.
Instead of folding, roll these up like you would cinnamon rolls. Then slice into portions about 1 inch thick. Place on baking sheet with the spirals facing up and pop into the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
Pin this recipe for later!
Tried this recipe? Leave me a comment or rating to let me know!
Baked Ham & Cheddar Rolls
- 2 Tubes Refridgerated pizza dough
- ½ Cup Mayonaise
- 2 tablespoon Yellow mustard
- 8 oz (215 grams) Deli ham sliced
- 3 Cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Milk
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and mustard and set aside.
- Place a large piece of parchment or wax paper on the counter.
- Open one container of dough and unroll it onto the parchment paper, then use a rolling pin, roll it out to about 14×10 inches with the long edge facing you. (You don’t have to be precise)
- Spread half the mayonnaise mixture over the dough, then layer of ham, and then the shredded cheese. (remember to save half the ham & cheese for the next roll)
- Make sure the long edge is facing you and then, using your parchment paper, fold the bottom third of the dough up and peel off the paper. Then fold the top layer of the dough down. Gently press to help seal the seam, then peel back the paper.
- With a sharp knife, cut the roll into 6 pieces and place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving a space of 1-2 inches between rolls.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together and brush over the rolls.
- Place in the oven for approximately 35 min until cheese is bubbly on the edges and tops are golden brown.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.