Cilantro avocado yogurt dressing is tangy and light. The yogurt and avocado make this dressing super creamy, while the cilantro and lime add clean, bright flavours that go well with so many dishes. Use it as a dip for tortillas or veggies, or use it for coleslaw or a sauce for your favourite tacos. The options are endless.
There was a time I hated cilantro. I couldn’t even tolerate the smell of it. I’m not sure what changed, but now I love it. I especially love it when it is combined with the bright, fresh tanginess of limes.
This dressing is also fantastic as a dip or sauce, making it multi-purpose. And the fact that it contains only four ingredients and comes together in less than five minutes is a definite bonus. This dressing is a great alternative to many high fat dressings as the fat comes from yogurt and avocados. Though the fat content will vary depending on the yogurt you choose.
The dressing starts with a nice, thick greek yogurt and fresh cilantro, avocado and limes. The key to making this dressing great is ensuring you choose the freshest ingredients possible.
How do I choose a ripe avocado?
Have you ever seen people gather around the avocados picking them up and putting them down, often shaking their head in bewilderment as they wonder which one to choose? I certainly have, and there was a time that I was one of those people.
However, I’m happy to tell you that it really isn’t all that complicated. It all comes down to feel. Colour is another factor, but it isn’t 100% reliable as colour can vary greatly.
Start by choosing an avocado that has a dark green skin, this is going to be your best chance at a ripe avocado.
Next, place the avocado in the palm of your hand and give it a gentle squeeze. The ripe avocado should yield slightly under pressure. If it is hard, like a baseball, it is not ripe. If it is so soft that it is easy to squeeze, or if it has soft or dented spots, it is over ripe.
Just like goldilocks, you are looking for the avocado that is not too soft, and not too hard. You want to select the avocado that is just right. Just a bit of give when light pressure is applied.
How do I choose cilantro?
Cilantro is much easier to select than avocado.
Simply look for a bunch that has bright green leaves. When you bring the cilantro towards your nose you should be able to smell it. If it has very little aroma, it will likely have very little flavour as well.
You are looking for leaves that are bright, without bruising or wilting.
How long will cilantro avocado yogurt dressing keep?
This dressing keeps well in the refrigerator for about 5 days if tightly sealed in an airtight container.
Will this dressing turn brown?
Unlike guacamole, I have never had an issue with this dressing turning brown. It contains enough acid, and a small enough quantity of avocado, that it should not turn brown if stored correctly.
HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO AVOCADO YOGURT DRESSING
Making this dressing is really easy.
- Place the yogurt in a bowl
- Scoop half an avocado into the bowl
- Add the juice of one fresh lime, approximately 1/4 cup
- Add 1 cup of roughly chopped cilantro
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender
How can I use cilantro avocado yogurt dressing?
As a dressing:
- use on your favourite salad
- use on your favourite coleslaw
As a dip:
- use as a dip for vegetables
- tortilla chips
- chicken skewers or chicken bites
- shrimp skewers
As a sauce:
- Use to top your favourite tacos
- Use to marinade chicken
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL HINTS
- Does it matter what type of yogurt I use? I like using a thick, 2% Greek yogurt for this recipe. But you can use fat free, or full fat yogurt if you like. If you can’t find Greek yogurt than any plain, unsweetened yogurt will work, however your dressing will likely be thinner.
- Can I add more cilantro or lime? Absolutely! The recipe is really just a guideline. If you want your flavours bolder, go for it.
- I hate cilantro, can I leave it out? Well, this is a cilantro dressing. But the flavours of the avocado and lime are so good that they make a great dressing, even if you leave the cilantro out.
- How can I make this dressing vegan? Simply choose a vegan yogurt. You could also substitute silken tofu if you like.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Avocado large
- 1 Cup Cilantro chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp Lime Juice (Juice of 1 large lime)
- Place yogurt in a small bowl.
- Add the avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.