Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing mix is so easy to make with simple ingredients. Make a batch and use for dressing, dips and sauces. With less sodium than packaged mix and no artificial ingredients, you will never buy packaged again.
Ranch has always been my favourite when it comes to dressings or dips. In fact, when I was younger, it was the only kind I liked. I have grown to like many different ones now, but I often fall back on the tried and true ranch.
I think most people have had ranch dressing at some point in their lives, and I think the reason it remains so popular is the simple fact that it goes well with so many things.
Ranch has a nice balanced flavour of garlic, onion and herbs. It is creamy and delicious. For the most part, the basic flavour profile is always the same, but there are variations and every recipe calls for slightly different ratios of ingredients.
Making your own ranch dressing is so easy. Not only that, but by making it at home you can control the ingredients; eliminate preservatives, artificial ingredients, and salt. You can also save money!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK RANCH DRESSING MIX
Making this mix is so easy. There are really only 2 steps.
- Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl
- Pour mix into an airtight container for storage
That’s all there is to it.
This makes almost one cup of mix, which is the equivalent of about five store bought packages at a fraction of the cost.
How to make dip from ranch dressing mix
It is really easy to make your own dip from this mix.
Combine ⅓ Cup greek yogurt with ⅓ cup mayonnaise and add 1 tablespoon of mix. Stir well and let sit for 20 minutes then serve.
I like to make small batches more frequently so it stays fresh, but you can double or triple this recipe if you like. If you like stronger flavour you can simply add a bit more mix.
If you don’t have greek yogurt on hand you can use sour cream instead. And if you want to make this a bit healthier you can omit the mayonnaise and double the greek yogurt.
How to make dressing from ranch dressing mix
Making dressing is just as easy as making dip, but you are going to replace either the yogurt or the mayonnaise with milk.
Just like when I’m making dip, I like to make smaller batches so that it stays fresh, but you can double or triple the recipe without issue.
Combine ⅓ cup greek yogurt or mayonnaise with ⅓ cup milk and 1 tablespoon mix. Whisk well and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.
If you want bolder flavour you can add more mix as desired.
Using yogurt will give you a thinner consistency with a slightly tangier flavour. Mayonnaise will give you a creamier dressing. What you use will simply be preference.
How to use ranch dressing mix
If you are wondering if there are other ways to use ranch dressing mix, the answer is a resounding yes.
There are so many delicious ways to use this mix. You can add it to mashed potatoes, use it to coat chicken before baking, or even use it to make creamy pasta sauces.
You can use homemade buttermilk ranch dressing in any recipe that calls for store bought dressing mix, one of my favourites is these ranch crusted chicken thighs. Here are a few more must-try recipes:
Ranch BBQ chicken salad recipe
Chicken bacon ranch pasta casserole
Cowboy ranch corn chips
THINGS TO KNOW & HELPFUL TIPS
- How long does homemade ranch mix keep? If stored in an airtight container in a cool dry place, this mix should keep for months. If you need to store it longer you can keep it in the fridge or freezer.
- How much homemade ranch mix is equivalent to a store bought package? Three tablespoons of this homemade mix is equal to a store bought package.
- How long does ranch dip or dressing keep once I make it? I am really careful with food safety and err on the side of caution. For that reason I recommend no longer than 5 days once mixed.
- This homemade ranch mix seems a bit blander than store bought. Why? This homemade mix is actually really flavourful. Most of us, though, have become accustomed to packaged ingredients which are loaded with sodium. Manufactures add salt as a preservative and add MSG and other ingredients as flavour enhancers. If you find it bland, add a bit more mix to your dressing or dip, or you can increase the salt a bit if you wish.
- Where can I get buttermilk powder? You will likely find buttermilk powder with the baking ingredients or other shelf stable milks. It is also frequently found in the bulk aisle or bulk stores.
- Is ranch dressing mix gluten free? The benefit to making your own mix is that it is gluten free, while packaged mixes may not be. Of course, if gluten is a worry for you, please be sure to read the product information for all of the ingredients you are using to be sure they are safe.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
The best homemade taco seasoning
Chunky blue cheese dip
Cilantro avocado yogurt dressing
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix
- ½ Cup Buttermilk powder
- 3 tablespoon Parsley dried
- 1 tablespoon Chives dried
- 2 teaspoon Dill dried
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion flakes
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper freshly ground
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour mix into an airtight container for storage.
To make dressing
- Mix ⅓ cup milk with ⅓ cup greek yogurt, sour cream or mayonaise in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon dressing mix.
- Whisk well.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, then serve.
To make dip
- Mix ⅓ cup mayonaise with ⅓ cup greek yogurt or sour cream in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon dressing mix.
- Whisk well.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes then serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Thursday 9th of January 2020
I tried this today and OMG it was so easy and delicious! My son, who is obsessed and very picky about his ranch absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing this!