Chewy chocolate cookies with a caramel center and gooey marshmallows, just like your favourite cup of hot chocolate. Made with just five ingredients, these are quick, easy and delicious.
Caramel hot chocolate cookies are the best of both worlds. The flavours of a decadent, rich hot chocolate in the form of a chewy cookie.
These cookies start with a box of cake mix and are transformed with the addition of just a few simple ingredients, making them both quick and easy.
With a surprise caramel centre and topped with a melted marshmallow, they have all the fixings of a cup of hot cocoa in a convenient snack form.
They are great both straight from the oven or right out of the freezer.
If you prefer your hot chocolate the traditional way, hot and in a mug, you love making your own hot chocolate bombs.
Why this recipe works
- This recipe uses just 5 simple ingredients.
- It is quick and easy to prepare.
- It is made in one bowl making clean up a breeze.
Chocolate cake mix – I used Devil’s food cake, but any chocolate cake mix will work.
Vegetable oil – Makes the cookies soft and moist. If you prefer, you can use melted butter.
Rolos – If you can’t find Rolo’s you can use a few baking caramels.
Marshmallows – I used the large marshmallow and cut them in half, but a few mini marshmallows would work just as well.
One – In a medium size bowl, mix the cake mix, vegetable oil and eggs. At first it will seem dry, but then it will start to come together. Once mixed, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
Two – Scoop the batter and roll into balls of about one and a half inches with your hands. I use a cookie scoop to help make sure they are the same size.
Pro Tip – Make sure you don’t skip the step of resting the batter. This helps hydrate the dry ingredients making them easier to roll and also make the cookies chewier.
Three – Place the cookie balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat spaced 2 inches apart. Press one Rolo into the centre of each ball. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
Four – After 8 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and gently press one marshmallow half, cut side down, in the middle of each cookie. Return to the oven for 4 minutes.
Pro Tip – These cookies will spread, so make sure you are leaving enough room on the baking sheet.
Remove from the oven, allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes then move to a cooling rack.
If stored at room temperature they should keep for about a week in an airtight container.
Yes, these cookie freeze very well. Simply store in an airtight container or ziplock bag. They should keep several months.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 Box (15.25 oz) Chocolate cake mix I use Devil's food cake
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 18 Rolos
- 9 Large Marshmallows cut in half
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees F
- In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, vegetable oil and eggs until well mixed. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, form into balls about 1.5 inches and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, leaving about 2 inches of room between the cookies.
- Press one Rolo into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 8 mintues, then remove the cookies from the oven and gently press half a marshmallow onto each cookie, cut side down. Return to the oven and bake for 4 minutes or until marshmallow is slightly melted and edges of cookies feel set.
- Remove from the oven, let cook 2-3 minutes then move to a cooling rack.
Sharing is caring!